Photo

Do you believe in God?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you believe in God? Why or why not?

Do you believe in God? Why or why not?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#13 xyzzy

xyzzy
  • Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPattaya

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:02 PM

In the beginning man created God... -J. Tull
xyzzy is the "magic word" from the first computer adventure game and isn't capitalized

#14 petesie

petesie
  • Members
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:06 PM

DC stole my next post... :roll:
"My advice is just thank the god that doesnt exist for the rib he didnt take to create the women thats not a women that he didnt make for the naturaly uncut cock n enjoy it, they sure are fun." - Boomdraw

#15 Macman

Macman
  • Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:42 PM

Just my opinion, Nix, but I don't believe you can call agnostics "fence-sitters". It's probably just as arrogant for someone to say that he knows with absolute certainty that there is no God as for someone to say the opposite with absolute certainty.

Macman
Actually living the dream.

#16 Surin Nix

Surin Nix
  • Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:36 PM

Just my opinion, Nix, but I don't believe you can call agnostics "fence-sitters". It's probably just as arrogant for someone to say that he knows with absolute certainty that there is no God as for someone to say the opposite with absolute certainty.

Macman

I see your point Mac, and it's a good one.

That's why I was careful to clarify in the voting options that by "atheism", I specifically mean a disbelief in the "theistic" god referred to by their respective believers as "Jehovah" (Christian/Jewish) or "Allah". This would be the god of talking-snake fame. .......and worldwide floods.

So the atheist assertion, as used here, is a disbelief in that god.

In terms of the Source of all-things, there is obviously something at work, and has been for a very long time. I see nothing wrong in referring to that power as "god". Problem is, the term "god" has been taken over by (mainstream) religiously-thinking persons, and they claim to essentially own the term.

Sort of like how one group has taken over simple refracted light, and made it "theirs". I'm referring to rainbows. :gayf:

So, perhaps that clarifies what i mean by atheism, in this instance. It is not an outright rejection of the concept of god. Also, I'm not so rigid that if the evidence for their version of god presented itself, that my mind couldn't be changed.

I think it's unlikely to happen, but my mind is open to any new evidence. I tend not to think of that approach as arrogant, but, I could be wrong.

Nix
Nix

#17 Surin Nix

Surin Nix
  • Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 08:59 PM

....And for an important discussion on religion and ladyboys, have a look at this video.

Here, "Bruno" (Sasha Baron Cohen), interviews a pastor of a "gay-conversion" ministry in Arkansas. The topic of ladyboys is actually brought up.

I tried embedding the video, but I must be doing something wrong.

Here's a link:

(Question: When embedding a video, don't you just copy the embed code from youtube and then drop it directly into the writing-field. i.e., in this part of the message? I did that several times to no avail).
Nix

#18 Macman

Macman
  • Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:13 PM

Nix, I wasn't referring to your definition of your atheism, but to the comment in the poll itself regarding agnostics. I did note how carefully you defined your atheism. I haven't looked at the video yet (I'm heading to bed now because I have to get up at 4:00 AM for golf), but I know that follow-up studies of these "conversions of gays" show that almost all revert to their natural sexuality within a year of their "conversions".

Macman
Actually living the dream.

#19 Thailand-junkie

Thailand-junkie
  • Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:28 AM

#20 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:54 AM

... but to the comment in the poll itself regarding agnostics.

As it happens I thought exactly the same thing.

When setting a poll it should appear totally impartial.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#21 Surin Nix

Surin Nix
  • Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:21 AM

... but to the comment in the poll itself regarding agnostics.

As it happens I thought exactly the same thing.

When setting a poll it should appear totally impartial.

But what if we wanted to do a poll on impartiality?
Nix

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci