international driver’s license

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Coco

Coco
  • Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:28 AM

Anybody ever been pulled over on their motor bike and got a ticket??

I was wondering how others handle driving in another country ?

Has anybody got a international driver’s license. ? and if so has this helped ?

Has anybody received a Thai license .. if so .. how hard was it to get and where ?

#2 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:07 AM

I had an International Driving License (issued from the UK) when I was involved in a motorcycle accident in Phuket years ago.

Yes it did help alot back at the police station. I was ultimately ruled to be in the clear by the police officer too, but was still liable for the damage to the 250cc dirt bike I'd rented even though it wasn't my fault.

The BIB like official cards and documents, especially if they're in pristine condition. But if your own country license is only valid for a car and doesn't include motorcycles then it may be invalid, if spotted, if you're stopped when riding a motorbike.

Then again, if just stopped for not wearing a helmet or some other minor misdemeanor, then an on-the-spot fine is usually all it takes. Pay, smile, go.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#3 duke007

duke007
  • Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:15 AM

[quote name="Coco"]Anybody ever been pulled over on their motor bike and got a ticket??
quote]

Several times :giveup:

It is very advisable to take an International Driving License with you to LOS,
It can be done at the Post Office, it doesnt take long, it is cheap and can be set for the date of your travel and lasts 1 year plus it will give you a good peace of mind.

My UK Driving License is valid for driving motorbikes up to 125cc only as I haven't passed my full motorcycle test, so if your thinking of hiring a bigger bike take this into consideration.

Like DC says, if your lucky enough to get an "on the spot" fine
Pay, smile, go
otherwise its a long wait on Soi 9 to pay the fine. :sobsong:

Another thing, dont try and argue the toss with the BIB as there will be only one winner, and it wont be you. :D
I think on one occasion when I got pulled up I must have had the wrong colour eyes or he just didnt like my shirt :?

What she asked of me at the end of the Day,
Caligula would have blushed

#4 badpress

badpress
  • Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:37 AM

You must have been wearing that ridiculous Mancheatster United shirt then Dave. :D

#5 duke007

duke007
  • Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:16 AM

You must have been wearing that ridiculous Mancheatster United shirt then Dave. :D

I "WAS" wearing a Man United shirt as it happens :D

#6 onetruesaxon

onetruesaxon
  • Banned
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:45 AM

I "WAS" wearing a Man United shirt as it happens :D

I would have thrown away the key :lol: :lol: :lol:

#7 Ivor Biggun

Ivor Biggun
  • Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:00 PM

I've been on a Thai driving licence for about 4 years now. Initial one is valid for a year then the next one is good for 5 years. Its handy at police checkpoints when they stop me, normally just waved through with a quick glance- it makes a lot of things hassle free. Great thing is I can use it as ID within Thailand as well- saves having to fish out the passport at domestic check-ins, banks, hotels. Also useful when explaining I live here, NOT a tourist. Not got a bike licence though as I can't stand the things. I won't go through the process of getting one on here as it probably differs from Bkk to patts to Phuket but if anyon wants the process in Phuket drop me a PM.

#8 Coco

Coco
  • Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:55 AM

thanks ivor

Could you tell me if you had to take a test or someting like that ?

#9 Coco

Coco
  • Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:28 AM

Anybody ever been pulled over on their motor bike and got a ticket??

I was wondering how others handle driving in another country ?

Has anybody received a Thai license .. if so .. how hard was it to get and where ?

#10 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:07 AM

I had an International Driving License (issued from the UK) when I was involved in a motorcycle accident in Phuket years ago.

Yes it did help alot back at the police station. I was ultimately ruled to be in the clear by the police officer too, but was still liable for the damage to the 250cc dirt bike I'd rented even though it wasn't my fault.

The BIB like official cards and documents, especially if they're in pristine condition. But if your own country license is only valid for a car and doesn't include motorcycles then it may be invalid, if spotted, if you're stopped when riding a motorbike.

Then again, if just stopped for not wearing a helmet or some other minor misdemeanor, then an on-the-spot fine is usually all it takes. Pay, smile, go.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#11 duke007

duke007
  • Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:15 AM

[quote name="Coco"]Anybody ever been pulled over on their motor bike and got a ticket??
quote]

Several times :giveup:

It is very advisable to take an International Driving License with you to LOS,
It can be done at the Post Office, it doesnt take long, it is cheap and can be set for the date of your travel and lasts 1 year plus it will give you a good peace of mind.

My UK Driving License is valid for driving motorbikes up to 125cc only as I haven't passed my full motorcycle test, so if your thinking of hiring a bigger bike take this into consideration.

Like DC says, if your lucky enough to get an "on the spot" fine
Pay, smile, go
otherwise its a long wait on Soi 9 to pay the fine. :sobsong:

Another thing, dont try and argue the toss with the BIB as there will be only one winner, and it wont be you. :D
I think on one occasion when I got pulled up I must have had the wrong colour eyes or he just didnt like my shirt :?

#12 badpress

badpress
  • Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:37 AM

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci