• This topic is locked This topic is locked
124 replies to this topic

#1 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:39 PM

Jan 1st 2017

First of all I wish you a Happy,Healthy, and Safe New Year !

As usual, I'll indulge myself with my New Year's Address - bear with me!

Well, ten years ago today i took over a half share of the bar from Nick Jackson (R.I.P.) . And what a decade it's been! You'll have to wait for my memoirs for all the gory details, lol. But full of ups and downs: coups, political upheavals, and all the rest of the difficulties of trying to run a business and living in Thailand. But a truly amazing experience, surely the best ten years of my life. full of happy memories, great friendships, and such a different way of life. Far too much to cram into a few sentences on here. I don't regret a single moment.

It seemed a daring move at the time to sell up everything in Blighty and take the plunge, but so very glad i did. I look at my middle-aged friends back home and think "wow, what have you missed!"

x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x 

2016: What a year that was! Very sad in many ways, with so many stars and legends of the stage, screen, and music industries passing on. And not least of course, the passing of HRH here in Thailand - an event I've been dreading for years, but which was handled surprisingly well by the authorities, I thought.

And then there was Brexit and Trump! Who'd have believed it?

Politically, I can see our Dear Leader not wishing to give up the job, and hanging on to power for at least the next 12 months, despite all his waffle about "Roadmaps" and such. And whilst he's certainly taken some steps in removing some of the endemic corruption, so much remains beyond his grasp. It'll take many more years of tough, honest, and well-intentioned action before Thailand is "clean". Something neither he nor I will see in our lifetimes!

Here on the island of Phuket, we've had yet another change of Governor. This one seems content to sit at home doing nothing! My hopes of something concrete happening have been dashed for the umpteenth time!

The new airport terminal will ensure Phuket remains a tourism hub. However. I just wish they'd do something positive towards encouraging more high-value customers to fly into the darned thing!

As far as C & Ds was concerned, it was a fantastic year, more than recovering the rather inexplicable downturn we had in 2015.

In fact, since the Great Fire in Soi Tiger 1 in July 2012, we've struggled to get back on track. But now, thanks to your incredible support we're finally back on an even keel and i can resurrect some major projects that had to be shelved back then:-

Firstly, my lovely partner NingNong wants to emigrate to Sweden - more for the sake of her adopted son, Sunny, than for her own personal motives. She feels Sunny will have a brighter future in Scandinavia than here in Thailand. Something I can't argue with. He's a bright kid and will do well in a more progressive society, and a decent education system.

Therefore, my first duty will be to buy out her share of the business. She will remain a non-executive director of the holding company in order to comply with thai law, but will, for the most part be inactive in the daily business of the bar from whenever she gets her visa, assuming she does get it.

I cannot speak highly enough about NingNong. She's been the most fantastic partner anybody could wish for. Supportive in every way, from organising and participating in our nightly cabarets, to lifting my spirit when thing looked grim, coping with the financial burden after the Great Fire, always trusting in me to deal with the financial aspects of the business, and never holding out a grasping hand (so common with thai partners), and always able to deal with the staff "the thai way". We've never ever had across word and have always presented a united front to staff, customers, and suppliers. I love her to bits. I sincerely hope she returns as often as she can.

The staff will not for the time being be made aware of any great change in the management structure, so your discretion would be appreciated. Should her plans to re-settle in Sweden materialise, that'll be the time for them to become more aware of the situation. We're a close-knit family at C & Ds and we would not want to upset the family-feel at the bar. When the time comes, probably this time next year, we'll give her a damn good send-off. Until then it'll be "business as usual".

Secondly, I can resurrect some of the renovation programmes for the bar which had to be shelved after the Great Fire. Most of these will likely take place next year(2018) as money becomes available, although I hope we can make a start this year. With your continued support the bar will be readied for sale at the end of 2018, my planned retirement date! By then I'll be 65 years old and wanting to tend my allotment back in Blighty. As long as my health remains though, I would still plan to be around during the cold, dark months of an English winter! I've made so many wonderful friends over the last decade and would not want to lose touch with any of you.

So, if you are thinking about making the brave move to  Thailand, and could be interested in taking over the reins at the end of 2018, now is the time to starting considering it. The bar is highly profitable now and would provide someone with a very comfortable income. Discretion with any approach please! Not unsettling the staff is of paramount importance. A quiet word in my ear when you're at the bar, and we can take it from there. The books are complete, honest, and available for inspection by suitable applicants. But this is not your typical single-front/shophouse bar, so don't expect it to be cheap! It's a triple-fronted, well established place of entertainment with a long list of loyal and devoted customers. Sorry but guys wanting a start-up for $20,000 simply won't cut it!

Finally, I wish to thank all our customers again, especially during the last year. A steady stream of what i call V.I.P.s have helped us thrive over 2016, and the bar is in a much better place than it was a year ago.

I've watched countless bars go under, even whole sois! You'll recall the demise of sois Lion, and of course Crocodile, (to mention just two), yet we're still going strong. Your support has been incredible, and very heartwarming. Thank you so very much.

Now let's get on and enjoy the New Year!

Jimbo.

• MrDragon, batman4ever, dirkgfin and 4 others like this

#2 puktuk

puktuk
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:09 PM

where would we be without you Jimbo  best of luck for the next year ..hope to get back one day TIM

Tee cee

#3 puktuk

puktuk
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 01:10 PM

Not sure what happen there .hope you can read that ..hate machines

Tee cee

#4 batman4ever

batman4ever

• Moderators
  • 4,822 posts
  • LocationScandinavia

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:30 PM

great to hear that you had a good year my friend...but sad to hear you think about retiring... :wacko: 

well iam quite sure that after you tried to barfine your first GB-ladyboy....you will come running back screaming 5-5-5-5

iwe had SO many fucking great nights in your company so its hard to think about it will end at some time :shock: 

will be over sometime in 2017...as you know i also have some plans :blush:  so hope to see you again soon :-)

all the best

your friend

R

• jimbo34 likes this

A ladyboy is a kind of creature...that makes a txt saying...dont you trust me...and send it to 20 people... :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

https://www.facebook.com/ladyboyforum

#5 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:52 AM

Best of luck Jim!

It must be bittersweet closing out this particular chapter of your life, but it isn't happening just yet, so there is still an opportunity for you to make more good memories.

There is also still time for customers to come and make a few good memories at C&Ds too!

I'm glad I've got to experience your bar and I encourage anyone who has been following the Cocktails and Dreams threads over the years, but hasn't visited, to do so.

I haven't had a bad experience there yet, and for the average tourist who comes to town with limited time and who wants to sample a variety of ladyboys, C&D makes it easy.

It is apparent that the girls get some kind of briefing not to get territorial over customers, because I haven't got any static or bad vibes as I've been slowly working my way through the staff.

It is a fun place and I'm looking forward to my next few months on the island. Although I enjoy exploring off the beaten track, it is nice knowing I can make a run to Patong and always find a good time at C&D.

Cheers!
  • jimbo34 likes this

#6 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 12:23 PM

great to hear that you had a good year my friend...but sad to hear you think about retiring... :wacko:

well iam quite sure that after you tried to barfine your first GB-ladyboy....you will come running back screaming 5-5-5-5

iwe had SO many fucking great nights in your company so its hard to think about it will end at some time :shock:

will be over sometime in 2017...as you know i also have some plans :blush:  so hope to see you again soon :-)

all the best

your friend

R

Kind words batman. And in response, i have to say you have been a great friend over the years, and i look forward to many more.

As Spydie says it's far from over yet - a minimum of 2 more years. Look forward to seeing you again soon and best of luck with your own brave move to Trashville.

• Spyder Rocket likes this

#7 batman4ever

batman4ever

• Moderators
  • 4,822 posts
  • LocationScandinavia

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:05 PM

thanx for the nice words my friend :) 

Nooooow ...can we talk about me getting a copy of your little black book...?? :mrgreen:  :mrgreen: 

A ladyboy is a kind of creature...that makes a txt saying...dont you trust me...and send it to 20 people... :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

#8 Nikka

Nikka
  • Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 10:07 PM

happy new year 2017 :)

• batman4ever likes this

#9 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:32 PM

It's proving tough to get pictures at the moment, as the bar's been rammed since Dec 20th (peak Peak Season), but here's Patricia and the Pocket Venus: Bombay

Attached File  DSC01937.JPG   392.33KB   11 downloads

Attached File  DSC01939.JPG   322.03KB   2 downloads

Attached File  DSC01938.JPG   329.73KB   2 downloads

• MrDragon, batman4ever, Nikka and 2 others like this

#10 Janus

Janus
  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 07:04 AM

Sad to hear about your ritirment, but glad it will take another 2 years before you will do so. My favorit bar in Thailand had alot of fun there when i live in Phuket. I will bee back later this year to say a prober fare well to you. Happy new year to you and the staff. :)

• jimbo34 likes this

#11 DirtyDan

DirtyDan
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:06 PM

Jim, hope 2017 is just as good if not better than 2016. I'll be back early May to have another great time at C&D's.
  • jimbo34 likes this

#12 batman4ever

batman4ever

• Moderators
  • 4,822 posts
  • LocationScandinavia

Posted 08 January 2017 - 02:42 PM

just relax jim...even that you think of retirering in old blighty...you will still be able to find a sweet sexy local ladyboy :mrgreen:

Attached Files

• Attached File  1a.jpg   68.04KB   2 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci