Canadian hostage beheaded in the Philippines

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ranges2004

ranges2004
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:01 AM

Whoa, I've heard such great things in the past about the south, though, not just for vacationing, but even retirement.

http://edition.cnn.c...ridsdel-killed/

I remember hearing about an ongoing insurgency in southern Thailand, as well?

#2 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 10:10 AM

The problems in southern Philippines, especially in the Mindinao area are well known and documented. There are travel advisories posted by most countries about travel to that area of the Philippines.

As you also noted there are problems in Southern Thailand as well. Typically they do not target western tourists, unlike the Abu Sayyef, but since they also do bombings the potential exists for injury or death. Southern Thailand has travel advisories posted as well.

I don't know where you have heard great things about Mindanao - as the insurgency there has been going for decades.

• MrDragon and Torques Hit like this

:cnd:

#3 Torques Hit

Torques Hit
  • Members
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 26 April 2016 - 05:14 PM

Rxpharm is 100% correct. I travel to both countries and there are only certain areas of both I would visit. Actually as a whole comparing both countries I always feel far more safer in Thailand than the Philippines. In Thailand I don't think twice about rail travel. Baht bus, tuk tuk or motor bike taxi. In the Philippines I don't go on Jeepneys, or rail even in the cities as it's far too dangerous. Even when I am out with locals they refuse to take me on those modes of transport. There will be others on here that say I'm over dramatic but some stories I have been told would make you think again.

Worry about the things you can affect and not the things you can't affect 

#4 strobriand

strobriand
  • Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 02:24 PM

Many Filipinos have been telling me it is safe in Mindano these days and I was almost tempted cause it has a good surf break.  Think I will go to the wave pool in Patong instead haha

#5 batman4ever

batman4ever

• Moderators
  • 4,822 posts
  • LocationScandinavia

Posted 27 April 2016 - 03:12 PM

its all due to the depression comming from not eating bacon.....

it is proved now that people eating bacon...never become suicide-bommers :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen: 

SRY...bad humor i know :lol: 

• MrDragon, Janus and Torques Hit like this

A ladyboy is a kind of creature...that makes a txt saying...dont you trust me...and send it to 20 people... :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

https://www.facebook.com/ladyboyforum

#6 MrDragon

MrDragon
  • Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:15 PM

No Batman,extremely good humour and with a great touch of truth in it.Thumbs up!
Live in the real world,its the only one that matters..

#7 oppong

oppong
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 07:48 AM

I've been to Mindanao last year, about ten days but only in north of the island (Cagayan, Dipolog), very safe place, nothing to fear. People there only talk about islamists in South West (Zamboanga City and north suburbs). Maoist guerilla is still active in center Mindanao but represents no danger for tourists.

#8 Asian_Prince

Asian_Prince
  • Members
  • 207 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:36 AM

Before going to CDO i did for one full year my home work to know which places where safe to go and where not , and CDO turn out to be more then oke , you will see lots of muslim people there but all was cool , i had also a few good guide to lead me around so i know i was on the safe side , i think that you will indeed head in to danger zone when you go to Zamboanga and the rest......

Aldo the one doing the killing are looking mostly for people with money to get as much cash out of them as possible , it`s Always better to play it safe and prevent from going to those places , i my self was planning to go to El Nino and Palawan , but change my mind and will go to Cebu instead , like to keep my head on my body for a long time to come , you only live once......

Greetz , Asian_Prince

https://www.youtube....er/MrStealth009 ===> My Privit Youtube Vacation Channel , Enjoy !!!

I Am A Certified Fillipino Ladyboy Lover & I Love Elegant And Gothic Cosplay Angels ( Home Of The Braves )

I`ll Stop Thinking With My Dick , When You Stop Fucking With My Mind.

Real Players Motto Is: Find `em , Fuck `em and Forget `em

#9 veveron

veveron
  • Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 01:42 PM

Based out of Cebu right now, but going to northern Mindanao soon, maybe Davao also. No real worries about safety, but will update after the trip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci