World cup 2014

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#25 Moo Yung

Moo Yung
  • Administrators
  • 649 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:54 AM

It's been such a good world cup, it was only missing a pantomime villain and now we have it.

Suarez was gloating to the press about knocking England out, blaming the UK press for giving him a hard time in England (though he seems to ignore the thousands of English fans who still idolize him despite his moments of insanity - yes Dave, Scousers are people too..). To then go and bite someone in the very next game is incredible.

Cantona had his moments of madness, as did Di Canio, both great players who were deeply passionate and let the pressure and need to win get to them at times, but there is something cowardly and pathetic about biting. It's made all that much worse by the fact he never shows any remorse or even signs of guilt. It's impossible to like or respect Suarez. Even Maradonna had the balls to admit to cheating, even if he did claim it to be divine intervention. 

This is the third time he has bitten another player in a game, not to mention the racists comments and deliberate handball which knocked Ghana out of the last World Cup. If you walked out into the streets and bit someone who wasn't physically harming you then you'd get a visit from the police and a caution at best. Second time you did it you'd be sitting in a court house trying to plead you way out of a short stint in jail. Third time and you'd either end up in jail or institutionalized.

Attached File  Suarez.jpg   25.16KB   0 downloads

• MrDragon, thailover57 and khaosphere like this

Find us on facebook: LADYBOYFORUM

#26 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:35 AM

Not being a soccer fan, that was very bizarre to watch, especially all the drama immediately afterwards, both players acting hurt.

Does the feigning injury really influence the referee that much?

#27 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:54 AM

There's way too much faking of injuries in soccer, sorry, football. But now there's a serial cannibal! It can be a wonderful game, but there are so many clowns now. Uruguay should be penalized for this bozo!
  • MrDragon likes this
Old, cantankerous, and sorry if I piss you off - well, not really. Just enjoy!

#28 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:42 AM

There's way too much faking of injuries in soccer, sorry, football. But now there's a serial cannibal! It can be a wonderful game, but there are so many clowns now. Uruguay should be penalized for this bozo!

I have a hard time calling it football too.

#29 Moo Yung

Moo Yung
  • Administrators
  • 649 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:00 PM

Does the feigning injury really influence the referee that much?

It must do, seeing as he wasn't punished during the game and moments later Uruguay scored and knocked Italy out.

It's easy to remember, Football is the one where you use your foot to move the ball. American Football is the one where the foot rarely touches the ball. ;)  

• duke007 likes this

#30 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:47 PM

It's easy to remember, Football is the one where you use your foot to move the ball. American Football is the one where the foot rarely touches the ball. ;)

Isn't that a John Cleese line?

I'll be watching the USA play Germany despite not understanding even a quarter of the rules.

#31 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:42 PM

I don't really understand how the USA advanced, but I'm happy about it, and it has made me a little more interested in soccer, err, "world football." ;)

#32 Surin Nix

Surin Nix
  • Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:04 AM

SR, I think the American, Jermaine Jones, may be destined to become the new face (was there an old one?) of American football. The man is a stud. Big, strong, hansum, with the speed and power of any NFL running back. He gets his nose broken and barely flinches instead of writhing around in fake agony. (Ditto Clint Dempsey). If we can advance against Belgium (a big if), expect him to become the poster boy of American soccer/football. The American youth have needed an individual like this to implant the notion that football is indeed an exciting and magnificent game, played by world class athletes.

I am delaying my trip to LOS by one day in order to watch the USA vs Belgium game. Gawd willing, i will be watching the Americans play in the semis in a bar n Thailand therafter.

Oh yeah, props to Jermaine's German mother. Thank you, Mrs. Jones, for taking the time to bone Mr. Jones. (African/American serviceman).

Just a lonely voice of the minority here saying: Go USA!
  • Moo Yung and khaosphere like this
Nix

#33 MrDragon

MrDragon
  • Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:32 PM

Well,as Gary Lineker once said: Football is 22 guys chasing a ball in 90+ minutes. Then Germany wins. 8)

• Surin Nix likes this
Live in the real world,its the only one that matters..

#34 Surin Nix

Surin Nix
  • Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:07 PM

I have never, ever seen anyone who was the recipient of as high an honor as "Player of the tournament", Messi, look so glum.

I think i've seen youtube videos of guys about to face a live firing squad look more cheerful.

...but, I understand. Argentina will be in a state of mourning for about the next 4 years.

Great game!
Nix

#35 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:22 PM

Rodriguez deserved it not Messi. But there were so many awards they missed - the Best Flopper - Arjen Robben, the best goal and imitation of superman, RVP. The keeper with his freak on - Tim Howard. The worst off people? Brazil after spending $11-BILLION on this!

(Yeah, alcohol infused).
  • Surin Nix likes this
Old, cantankerous, and sorry if I piss you off - well, not really. Just enjoy!

#36 Moo Yung

Moo Yung
  • Administrators
  • 649 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:23 PM

I was surprised to see Messi get the award, he played well but people expected so much more from him and playing in a half decent team you'd expect him to make the difference. The same goes for Ronaldo, who may have been struggling with injury/fitness, but he still failed to shine.

Many have said over recent years that Messi is the greatest footballer of all time, but he has failed to prove that at World Cup level, as a result you could argue he has failed to reach the level of players like Maradonna, Pele, Eusabio, Garrincha, Cruijff, Charlton and Bekenbauer, players who were legends at every level of the game, not to mention players such as George Best and Di Stefano who never got to play in a World Cup.

I thought a few other players made a bigger impression on the tournament than Messi, such as James Rodriguez, Neuer, Kroos, and Muller, maybe even Robben (and I hate that guy).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci