Computing iPads Tablets

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:31 PM

I bought an iPad last year and have been very pleased with it.

I'm going to school and I do write a lot of papers, so for that, I revert to a laptop, but otherwise, I'm very much an iPad fan.

There are still some websites out there that do not render very well for a tablet, but those are getting fewer.

For web browsing, catching up on the news, and watching videos, it is hard to beat an iPad.

What I like best about it is the portability and the iOS keeps it running smooth. I've never had it hang up or crash on me like a windows based platform. Actually, my experience with my iPhone and iPad have made me a strong fan of Apple products.

If and when I replace my laptop, it will be with a MacBook, I have had enough of windows based products.

I'm too wary of Android phones and tablets because of the stability of their OS.

Just curious as to how many PC users are still out there?

How many Apple haters are out there?
  • ABDUMANAP and Abramovich like this

#2 Moo Yung

Moo Yung
  • Administrators
  • 649 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:55 PM

I use a lot of Apple products, iphone, ipad, and ipod, all of which I'm dependent on for different things, but I still use a windows laptop over a mac.

Yes laptops can let you down in so many ways, but ultimately they are cheap, and when looked after they do the job (for a couple of years at least). I have been close to buying a mac a few times, but since we are now in the era of cloud storage it's so easy to replace an old laptop with a new one and be back to normal within an hour or two.

Macs do go on for ever, but I like getting a new laptop of 18 months or so, and enjoy exploring all the new gadgets and software that come with it. I wouldn't trade in any of my other apple products for android equivalents, but I still prefer my 'disposable' laptops over getting a mac.  

• ABDUMANAP likes this

Find us on facebook: LADYBOYFORUM

#3 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:33 AM

Good point about the disposable laptops; you can get a fairly decent Toshiba for $200 USD, while an entry level MacBook runs $1000 USD.

When Microsoft came out with Vista several years ago, I was foolish enough to buy a mid-range HP with that shit operating system loaded on it.

I lost a lot of confidence in their products; plus, I think the way they handle software patches on a weekly basis is insane. Often times, they have bugs in their patches. I think that is the biggest contributor to the instability of Windows and is what leads to all the security holes.

The average Joe, can't keep up with all their security updates, "Patch Tuesday" is a crock of shit if you ask me. They really need to move to at least a monthly update cycle.

Don't even get me started with Adobe and Adobe Flash player, sometimes I think they are in cahoots with the Anti-Virus producers to increase the need for security software.
  • ABDUMANAP likes this

#4 Moo Yung

Moo Yung
  • Administrators
  • 649 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:41 AM

Before cloud storage I was always tempted to get a mac, simply because every 2 years my laptop would crash and I'd lose a lot of work and other files, then taking a month or so trying to replace and restore everything. Now it's not an issue, nothing is stored solely on my laptop.

Back then I'd also rely on the laptop for everything, but now I also have my iphone, ipad, and ipod, all of which are in sync and do a lot of the work my laptop used to. 

I have never been a real hater of any windows operating systems (Vista included), until windows 8. I just can't get used to it, 8 months in and I'm still frustrated. I spent a lot of time modifying my windows 8 to act like windows 7 (which I really liked).

#5 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:04 AM

I believe Apple is too proprietary, and not as user friendly as many would like to tout. Non-replaceable batteries in the Ipods, Iphones, Ipads - forcing you to buy a new device when the battery stops holding a charge. Now it is becoming more popular security issues are arising as hackers target Apple operating systems and devices. Once hacked, you will being to see something quite similar to patch "Tuesday" Microsoft follows.

I agree with Moo Young - Windows 7 is better than Windows 8 - but recent reports are that Windows 8.x will be more like Windows 7 for those with regular laptops.

Also software for Windows tends to be much less expensive than for Mac OS.

• lostchild and dixon cox like this

:cnd:

#6 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:07 AM

Before cloud storage I was always tempted to get a mac, simply because every 2 years my laptop would crash and I'd lose a lot of work and other files, then taking a month or so trying to replace and restore everything. Now it's not an issue, nothing is stored solely on my laptop.

Back then I'd also rely on the laptop for everything, but now I also have my iphone, ipad, and ipod, all of which are in sync and do a lot of the work my laptop used to. 

I have never been a real hater of any windows operating systems (Vista included), until windows 8. I just can't get used to it, 8 months in and I'm still frustrated. I spent a lot of time modifying my windows 8 to act like windows 7 (which I really liked).

I rely on external drives for a back up and have yet had to cope with the failure of one.

I have never understood the philosophy of Windows for their insistence on moving functions around between the different versions of windows.

I like a little continuity and have always been frustrated each time a new version was launched.

The last stable version of windows that I can remember was Windows 3.1.1 the OS before Windows 95.

That was almost 20 years ago, wow! Do I sound like a grumpy old computer nerd or what? :(
  • lostchild likes this

#7 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:17 AM

I believe Apple is too proprietary, and not as user friendly as many would like to tout. Non-replaceable batteries in the Ipods, Iphones, Ipads - forcing you to buy a new device when the battery stops holding a charge. Now it is becoming more popular security issues are arising as hackers target Apple operating systems and devices. Once hacked, you will being to see something quite similar to patch "Tuesday" Microsoft follows.

I agree with Moo Young - Windows 7 is better than Windows 8 - but recent reports are that Windows 8.x will be more like Windows 7 for those with regular laptops.

Also software for Windows tends to be much less expensive than for Mac OS.

I dread the day hackers start targeting Mac devices more.

You might be right about them switching to a more frequent update cycle, but I doubt it.

For the last several years, when Mac discovers a significant security hole, they will expedite an out-of-band patch. For the most part, they take their time to make sure the updates are solid.

#8 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:27 AM

I would never contemplate owning an Apple product of any sort.

I made that decision many years ago when the iPod first appeared and my opinion hasn't changed.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#9 Moo Yung

Moo Yung
  • Administrators
  • 649 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:59 AM

That's another great thing about being based in Thailand. The tech guys at Tuk Com (Pattaya) and IT Town (Bangkok), are now able to replace a lot of apple product batteries and do most repairs to my apple devices. I've had the same iphone for 2 years now and the same ipod for 4, both have had replacement batteries, and my iphone had several parts replaced after a songkran mishap - all of which were done for next to nothing

I was never a fan of apple products and I used to hate the way some 'apple-boys' went on about their tech, but since buying my iphone I've really come to depend on it- which itself probably isn't a good thing but it really does make a huge positive difference to how I work and how much I can get done.

#10 strobriand

strobriand
  • Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:15 AM

I am not familiar with using Apple computing products but got around the problems of Windows system crashes years ago buy installing Ubuntu operating system on my non apple laptops and am extremely happy with this free linux based operating system.  It does require a bit of a learning curve but additional programmes and advice are available on forums and for free with members of the forums being very happy to help when and if issues arise.

Issues become less and less in my experience with newer releases of ubuntu

#11 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:55 AM

@Moo Yung

I used to scoff at the Apple Boys, but now I am one of the loudest touts of Apple products.

ITunes beats all the other music downloading options hands down. I used to be a big Napster fan but converted after I got my iPhone.

@Strobriand

I tried running Unbuntu on that HP that I had to get around Vista but I couldn't get it to work right.

#12 RobiSLO

RobiSLO
  • Members
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

I have everything from Apple (ok I don't own iPhone... but I bought one for my X :D ) and I have to tell the truth that after many years of playing with Apple I came to conclusion Apple has probably the best manufactured and designed hardware but software is not even close to it.

iOs on my iPad can't compare to Android 4 and over, why.. because it is a small magic to even put some file on my iPad and use it offline, forget about copying folders with mixed content you need for company presentation, deleting pictures from iPad is a small miracle (I still cant delete few X happy pictures and I did try anything apart from factory reset)... all in all way too complicated than on Android where you just plug it in PC and use it like any regular USB key.

Not to mention OSX where I did try to use it for few days but I just couldn't find any decent games, Office I use for my work sucked big time not to mention mouse lag and the fact everybody use Windows in my work... in the end I was forced to put Windows on my iMac and MacBook. All in all I still use my iPad and my iMac but for work related stuff I depend ony my Android mobile and Windows 7 OS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci