158 replies to this topic

#1 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:13 AM

My first trip to Thailand was back in the summer of 1998 on the first leg of a one year round-the-world trip, which ultimately lasted for 16 months.

I re-discovered the digital tapes from that trip recently and, although the technology back then is nothing close to what it is today, I thought some of you may be interested to see.

The countries visited along the way included; Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, USA, Hong Kong, Macau, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and the Phillipines. Some countries were fairly short visits and will not have much to see, others I returned to several times, but I will focus mainly on the Asian countries and hopefully it should be nice to see how some things have changed over the years.

This is also the first time I have seen these tapes this millenium, so my memory of the time is a bit vague and some of the clips and images may seem disjointed. I will post the trip in chronological order and add any information that I remember as I go.

The digital camera I used back then was a Panasonic and had a 3CCD (cutting edge at the time) and took both digital movies and digital stills, albeit it at a poor 1MB by today's standards, hence the image quality in comparison to today's images.

* Update:
As the image quality of what I originally posted was so dreadfully poor I've decided to re-do the whole lot at a much higher quality, taking 13.1GB per tape instead of the original 180 to 220MB per tape, so I will be replacing the shitty old clips and pics with the improved ones. But remember that the pictures are still only 1MB and the movies have a small black line down the right-hand side, nothing I can do about that.

- - -
This first clip from 1998 is a ride on a tuktuk and I think I was going to Lumphini Park from Sukhumvit Road because we go from lower Sukhumvit, past Ploenchit Center, under the expressway (where the bar area known as "Soi Zero" used to be) and then make a left near the British Embassy. The SkyTrain was heavily under construction at the time.

Attached Files

Meum cerebrum nocet

#2 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:27 AM

A few more Sukhumvit views.

Attached Files

Meum cerebrum nocet

#3 onetruesaxon

onetruesaxon
  • Banned
  • 2,281 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:35 AM

Very nice pictures indeed and a good touch with the video. It's nice to reminisce sometimes.

How did you like Fiji ? I once traveled on the back of a chicken truck from Sigatoga to Suva with my backpack one afternoon.

#4 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:34 AM

Kanchaburi
The Bridge On The River Kwai, located 130km west of Bangkok.

I always wanted to see this bridge as most of us have heard about it due to the film.

This was just a day trip, and a very enjoyable one.

Attached Files

Meum cerebrum nocet

#5 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:40 AM

Very nice pictures indeed and a good touch with the video. It's nice to reminisce sometimes.

How did you like Fiji ? I once traveled on the back of a chicken truck from Sigatoga to Suva with my backpack one afternoon.

Thanks OTS.

I'm struggling to remember the details of Fiji, but I'm sure it'll come back to me once I get to the Fiji part, but I do remember visiting Suva as it's the capital of Fiji.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#6 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:53 AM

Not sure what the bridge is like now in terms of health & safety, but back then a person could so easily have fallen between the railway sleepers on the bridge (see last pic and video above).

Attached Files

Meum cerebrum nocet

#7 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:02 AM

More Kanchanaburi views...

Attached Files

Meum cerebrum nocet

#8 KendoUK

KendoUK
  • Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:38 AM

I always like to see it when the whole family is crammed onto the moped. Dads the only one wearing a helmet, that seems to be standard in LOS. In case of an accident the kids are all f**ked but as long as Dad doesn't get concussed I guess thats all good - TIT!

zinc n B-6 deficiency's, tends to make folks post crazy things like ''your a fagg you never fuked a trannie prostitute''.. - Boomdraw

#9 Macman

Macman
  • Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:40 AM

Great stuff, DC. I'm looking forward to the rest of your trip. What a great way to stir up those memories for you through your photos and videos. Thanks.
Actually living the dream.

#10 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:56 AM

I always like to see it when the whole family is crammed onto the moped.

Me too :mrgreen:

I've always been fascinated by foreign modes of transport, their vehicles and what they manage to get stacked onboard. It is just so different to back home in farangland where far too many road rules apply.

What a great way to stir up those memories for you through your photos and videos. Thanks.

Thanks Mac.

I've enjoyed reviewing the old tapes again from this trip and there's quite a few to get through yet. I haven't seen much beyond what I've posted so far but it's definately a trip down memory lane.

I hope I don't bore people too much as it's not really a mongerer's tale, but it was rooster's thread which gave me the final nudge to do it, so thanks to him.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#11 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:03 AM

The last of the Kanchanburi pics before heading back to Bangkok to take in some more typical sight-seeing.

Attached Files

Meum cerebrum nocet

#12 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:26 AM

With many days to kill and with a desire to tick-off some of the tourist activities I, like a typical tourist, took in a boat ride around the back klongs of Bangkok which, naturally, included a visit to see a snake show.

Attached Files

Meum cerebrum nocet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci