When was your first visit to Thailand?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 dixon.cox

dixon.cox
  • Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:56 AM

My first visit was back in June 1998 and I've got both old and new passports littered with entries to the Kingdom.

I'm interested when you guys first tasted what the country had to offer and how many trips you have made with perhaps a total number of weeks/months/years you've spent in Thailand in total. Must have been amazing in the 70's, 80's and 90's, I know it's changed a heck of a lot since I first went, especially Pattaya and Phuket.

I've spent approx. a total of 16 months in Thailand over the years (since 1998) but lost count of the entries, of which some were simply border runs. I have another 5½ weeks starting in December 07
- I still get incredibly excited at the prospect of going, even after all this time 8)

Maybe you have your first trip planned and can't wait - share your excitement.

Spill those beans please :D

#2 laptop

laptop
  • Members
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 01:44 AM

Yeah i must admit i still have the excitement each time. But really the excitment of my 2nd trip was probable the best.

My first trip was June 05 for 3 weeks

October 05 - 2 Weeks
April 06 - 2 Weeks
May 06 - 3 Weeks
October 06 - 2 Weeks
July 07 - 6 Weeks

So 18 weeks in total. NOT ENOUGH! :(
As kids we're not taught how to deal with success; we're taught how to deal with failure. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. If at first you succeed, then what?

#3 Guest_pentire_*

Guest_pentire_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:04 AM

Coming up to my 20th aniversary; 6th March 1988 was the day that my life changed forever.

#4 rugbyjock75

rugbyjock75
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:43 AM

went on March 2rd till April 3rd i think!!! i orginal went for only 10days and stayed 4weeks!!
was back again in sept for 2weeks and i heading out there again on Dec 14th yahoo...for 3weeks!! maybe more ha...
Been there done that

#5 koykaeng

koykaeng
  • Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:49 AM

went on March 2rd till April 3rd i think!!! i orginal went for only 10days and stayed 4weeks!!
was back again in sept for 2weeks and i heading out there again on Dec 14th yahoo...for 3weeks!! maybe more ha...

Which year was this ? :roll:

Cheers
Koykaeng
Sign in pub "In case of fire - break glass". Now my beer's gone everywhere, and there's still a fire.

#6 styrbord

styrbord
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:51 AM

1989, and still going!
Sometimes long visits sometimes 2-3 days. Depending on the money situation.
Sometimes swore to save and not spend it in Thailand - so far always failed!

#7 zokk

zokk
  • Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 03:00 AM

for me the first time was May 2005 for 10 days then September 2006 for 10 days and I fly out today for 15 days . :D

#8 Kinkoy

Kinkoy
  • Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 05:31 AM

First time was July 1987, and has been there about 3 - 4 weeks a year since. But in 89/90 stayed there (mostly in Pattaya, but traveld around some too), for 12 months!! And now planning an early retirement to live in Paradise City :D

#9 Phil Lander

Phil Lander
  • Members
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:33 AM

1st visit was December 1993 for five days with an experienced friend . That was an eye opener . :shock:
2nd trip October/November 2006 for three weeks , with the wife :cry:
3rd trip July 2007 five days . 8)
4th trip January 2008 for three weeks 8) solo :D

Other than that I have about five long trips in Hongkong over the years but intend to spend my time in Thailand from now on .
Phil Lander by name Phillanderer by nature.
The World is my Oyster - Muwhahahahaha!!
A Ladyboy is never early , neither is she ever late . She turns up precisely when she means to.

#10 drhoneytongue

drhoneytongue
  • Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:40 AM

46 trips and some periods of work ago...

And I still love that smell when the doors open, an elusive mixture of aromatic flowers, pungent spices, cheap perfume, exotic incense and rotting garbage.

37 years in Asia, 35 years with the 3rd sex.

When you take your last breath, don't be thinking, "I wish I had....." It'll be too late then!

#11 BigTel Pattaya

BigTel Pattaya
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 06:03 PM

My first trip was in Feb 1981 and if anything I am even more excited as each trip comes up, I lived in Pattaya in 1996 to 2002 and then decided that I prefer to going back to the Holiday trips, where the excitement builds up even before arrival as apposed to living there full time.
Feel quite excited at the moment as am flying out tomorrow for another great Holiday in Pattaya :D
'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

#12 LuckyA

LuckyA
  • Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 07:28 PM

My first trip was last year at the back end of spending 6 weeks on the greek islands. Spent 12 days last year and fell in love with the place mainly because I could finally get to experience lb's instead of vicariously living through other's trip reports.

Although did not meet any forum members as I was very paranoid and actually did not have the guts to go into Jenny Star Bar. Sat across the road for 4 nights and then went to the clubs and got smashed.

Spent another 32 days this year from July 18. Awesome and finally had the balls to hold an lb's hand in public.

Have 9 days booked in from 23 Nov and a further 2 trips booked for a combined total of 7 weeks next year in March and August.

You could say I am making up for lost time although it would take me 3 lifetimes to catch up to Koykang and Pentire.

Better late than never.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci