Thai Sim Cards - Extending Expiry Date

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 koykaeng

koykaeng
  • Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 03:56 PM

Having let my Thai Sim Card and consequently my Thai phone number expire a few times over the years, I was keen to establish the best way to extend it without having to put endless amounts of credit on the phone via re-charge cards.

Whilst at MBK centre this morning, I spoke to one of the phone shops, and was told that I could pay a fee to have it extended to avoid this problem in the future. For the equivalent of 2 Baht/day, I paid 600 Baht giving me another 300 days (10 months) before the number expires.

Was anyone else familiar with this option ?

Seems to have solved my problem anyway.

Cheers
Koykaeng
Sign in pub "In case of fire - break glass". Now my beer's gone everywhere, and there's still a fire.

#2 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:55 PM

Koykaeng, was really good to meet you last night along with Snick (not sure what name he uses on this forum).

Thanks for the tip - I was also thinking about that, but since my trips are just about 4 months apart, I just usually buy more credit to cover the time until I am back in the LOS.

Are you using a SIM that will allow you to check the expiry date? That way you can verify if you actually did get 300 more days before it expires. I use the TRUE service, and #123# gives me the remaining credit and expiry of my SIM.

#3 koykaeng

koykaeng
  • Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:49 PM

Hi rxpharm,

Likewise was nice meeting you and putting a face to the name.

I am using the "One Two Call" service, and similarly can check my balance and expiry date by using "*121#".

Cheers
Koykaeng
Sign in pub "In case of fire - break glass". Now my beer's gone everywhere, and there's still a fire.

#4 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:45 PM

Was at MBK today, checking into the option of extending the SIM card expiry - Koykaeng, you struck a bargain! 600 Baht for 10 months is cheap, as I was quoted 300 Baht for 40 days. The shop I went to is called Connex on the 4th floor of MBK where all the mobile shops are. I may go back again and look around some more. At that rate, it is just as good to just load up on credit. If I manage to find the same rate you paid, I will post an update to this.

#5 Guest_pentire_*

Guest_pentire_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:08 PM

Never have I had a problem with my SIM card expiring while not in Thailand, indeed my Thai phone contines to receive calls & SMS's even while I am in the UK providing of course that it retains credit.

#6 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:55 AM

Pentire, that is interesting news! The situation I have with my True sim card is that it will expire Jan 10/08 - I still have 600 Baht credit on it. My next visit to LOS will be April 22 or so.

If you're right, then there is no need for me to buy credit to extend until my April trip and the number should still be working on my return.

#7 Ladyboy Lust

Ladyboy Lust
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:41 AM

had same issue..

when i recharged my DTAC mobile in 7eleven by buying a 100 bath card, I ve got only 7 days (!) left until money expires (note: my number not expires, only money)

so I went to TUK COM, they called the number 1678 and then when the automatic machine speaking thai, press 0, then u got a personal assistance, and u can extend expire date for another 180 days... DTAC charges u 12 bath each 180 days, so u can extend 1 year by means of 24 bath and so on...

By the way they also told me the rates for DTAC:
First minute 2 bath, the following minutes each 0,5 bath..

#8 kliome

kliome
  • Moderators
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:10 PM

I left my 12call sim with 120bht on it last Feb and just forgot about it.

Bought a new sim assuming it had expired, but when I loaded it up last week to get a number from the old sim it still worked and had enough money on it to send to sms.

A couple of other lads here have told me they just load up their sim with 500+ bht for any long period they will be away from LOS and so much is deducted every month they are away. On return when they add credit to their sim all the previous credit taken is given back.

Typical for Thailand, advice and information on when Sim card expire is mixed, unclear and confusing. Personally I like to have a new sim for every trip anyway, it always nice to start fresh and not have to worry about those skeletons calling form the closet.

Dating ladyboys in Thailand Thai Friendly 

Meeting ladyboys around the world My Ladyboy Date

Best Thailand (and global) hotel deals Discounted Hotels

#9 donnykey

donnykey
  • Members
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:17 PM

i use 12call and every time i top up with 300bht card get another month added to expiry date...i find it does not take long to get 12 months ahead ........had the same number for years (sometimes good sometimes not so good)....cheers donnykey
Oh so happy when in LOS

#10 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:57 PM

Policy seems to vary from one company to another. Went back to MBK today, but this time I visited the True shop. They told me there is a plan that has a long expiry date (every 90 days), and I had to select it by calling 9305, called "Chai Yo". It costs 33 baht to switch, and the calling rate is 2 Baht per minute.

Anyway, will see how this works. Hopefully I will be covered now until my April return.

#11 dixon.cox

dixon.cox
  • Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:49 PM

I also use Thai 12call and although my balance has also stated an expiry date I've found that it's only any outstanding unused credit that expires, not the number itself.

I have returned several times and topped-up an 'expired/empty' SIM and it's come back to life with a new expiry date and my new credit added to the original phone number.

I've stopped doing B300 top-ups now due to the losses on expiry, a few repeat B100's is usually enough, as and when required.

#12 LJ

LJ
  • Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 12:14 AM

is there any "better" operator out of thai ones ???
i use TRUE, but had problems at some islands, while my friend had DTAC and had no problems at all...
at the same time, while last days in phuket, i suddenly received some strange thai sms and from that time i could not send sms abroad, although could receive local as well as from abroad... i ensure i had enough credit on... could this have been just some temporary mistake of operator?
so alll n all, would u recommend any specific operator, or is it all the same like anywhere in the world?
thanx for any helpful info...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci