Thai SIM Card

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 sev7en

sev7en
  • Members
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:30 AM

Do i have to register a thai simcard? Can i buy refill/pay-as i-go everywhere??

Thanks
Rick

#2 costassg

costassg
  • Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 05:37 AM

Do i have to register a thai simcard? Can i buy refill/pay-as i-go everywhere??

Thanks
Rick

You can buy refill/pay-as you go everywhere
So many ladyboys so little time

#3 Guest_Pat Tire_*

Guest_Pat Tire_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:05 PM

About a year ago you needed ID/Passport to buy a SIM card however, recently my friend bought one while I was with him in a 7/11 without any such requirement.

#4 Dilain

Dilain
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 11:53 AM

since it's been brought up, Will thos SIM cards work in US phones? or will I have to buy a new phone?

#5 koykaeng

koykaeng
  • Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:16 PM

It will depend on what model phone you are bringing, but in reality virtually all current model phones are compatible in Thailand

From my understanding, all dual band and tri-band phones will work.

Once you get yourself a Thai sim card from the 7 eleven or local convenience store, you are in business.

Then you simply buy the re-charge cards and top up as needed.

Cheers
Koykaeng
Sign in pub "In case of fire - break glass". Now my beer's gone everywhere, and there's still a fire.

#6 kliome

kliome
  • Moderators
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:34 PM

I'm not a phone buff but the first time I tried to get a time sim to work on my phone it wasn't compatible and I had to get my phone unlocked from it's current network, which costs about 100bht and can be done at most phone shops. MBK has a whole leevl devotede to mobile phones.

Dating ladyboys in Thailand Thai Friendly 

Meeting ladyboys around the world My Ladyboy Date

Best Thailand (and global) hotel deals Discounted Hotels

#7 Dilain

Dilain
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 06:29 AM

thank you for answering my question.

#8 adidas

adidas
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 03:17 PM

To my experience, all Sim cards work well with any Nokia.

Not all will work out of Thailand though. I have a 1-2 call Sim, can receive calls outside Thailand but am not able to call out :?
When arguing with their office, the answer was "Sir, your Sim is fine, you can call out"... guess it's one more example of Thai Professionality :evil:

#9 kliome

kliome
  • Moderators
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 07:35 PM

I've recently had the same experience.

I have a 12call sim, and around November last year it suddenly started working in the UK. I can recieve calls and messages on it but have trouble send and callng back. I think 12call now have a new partnership with Orange netwrok in the UK at least.

The 2 main 'pay as you go' network suppliers in Thailand are 12call and Dtac.
From my knowledge it seems that Dtac are generally cheaper for making national calls, where as 12call are only slightly more expensive but cheaper making international calls.
You should also dial 00 9 before your country code when dialing internationally, as this makes the call cheaper.

#10 Recoil111

Recoil111
  • Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:53 PM

I had a thai-sim-card last year, as i came back to thailand in february this sim wasnt working anymore. DTAC told me that i have to top up the card at least once in 3 months, if not you lose the number and have to buy a new card. :(

Is there any sim-card provider where this is different? I dont want to buy a new sim everytime i go to thailand. I just need a sim where my number stays valid for 6-8 months without top up.

Thanks for any info!

#11 kliome

kliome
  • Moderators
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 12:55 AM

I'm not sure that is true any more. It use to be the case, but I know with 12call now you can leave your phone inactive for upto 12 months before you lose the number, as long as you leave credit on it.

When you top up (with 12call) it should tell you the date when that top up will expire, which should be in 12 months time. Someone once told me that your credit will go down 50bht every month it remains inactive, but I have never found this to be the case with 12call.

I think you also have the chance to register your sim when you buy it, but I have never done this and don't know if it makes a difference.

#12 Recoil111

Recoil111
  • Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 04:39 AM

Thanks for the info Kliome! Will try 12call next time!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci