Songkran

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 kliome

kliome
  • Moderators
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:34 PM

I noticed some less experienced folk asking about Songkhran and why some people detest it - The Thai New Year celeberation (stroke -water festival)

I used to be all for it, but the more I think about it, it's best enjoyed from a distance.

The thing about Songkhran (in Pattaya at least) is the first couple of days you experience it, it's a bit of a laugh, the general mood is festive and positive and you manage to find a nice bar to sit in, and laugh about the fact you've ruined your best shoes/trainers as you sit soaked to the bone, shivering slightly, but warming up a little ase you poor alcohol into your veins. For the voyeurs, it's like one giant wet t-shirt contest where everyone's a winner!

The probelm is, by day 3 you start running out of dry clothes, you can't stop rubbing your eyes for all the dirty water, flour and basic filth that has been shot at you (Oh, and there is no way of escaping this, every f'ing street is covered + constant drive-by soakings). You start to get a a bit fed up with it, but you soldier on, remembering that you are in the land of smiles etc.. happy thoughts...

You spend day 4 in bed suffering from the mother of all colds, felling like shit.

Day 5 or 6, depending on how well you are getting over the cold, you are completely grumpy, and you feel like Indian Jones, trying to dodge your way along 2nd and beach road, praying to get to a pharmacy without collapsing (and have a cheeky Beer on the way). You start developing pity/sympathy tatics, pretending to use your phone every time you pass a gang of youth packing liquid heat, standing around a huge barrol of water (which is still full of Ice cold water...), you even try limping, offering money, even crying... nothing works. There is absolutely NO escape.. Buddah says 'it's good to soak a stranger' and so there is no mercy.. A good 5th day is getting back to your room with some vague cold medicine and only one of your phone or mobile soaked..

By the 7th day you're sitting in the nearest internet cafe or travel shop, (still soaked to the bone even though it's rigt next to your hotel) looking up the cheapest flights to Burma and North Korea.

In BKK it isn't too bad, it only seems to last for 2 days. In Pattaya they seem to enjoy it a little too much.. If you're timing it really off, you can manage to get your 2 days of Songers in BKK and arrive Pattaya (with cold shivers firmly established), in time to enjoy all 7 days of rib tickling fun and games..

Sorry to sound negative, it would be good to hear a positive supporter or Songkhran, I'm sure I used to be.

Dating ladyboys in Thailand Thai Friendly 

Meeting ladyboys around the world My Ladyboy Date

Best Thailand (and global) hotel deals Discounted Hotels

#2 laptop

laptop
  • Members
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:37 PM

i was only there for one. Thought it was great craic though. Especially driving up and down soi 6

although it did get a bit annoying after a while. going into air conditioned bars soaking wet made you very cold.

#3 matchman

matchman
  • Members
  • 863 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:42 PM

I have to agree, I found it easier in Bangkok to avoid the water and only managed 2 days in Pattaya before I had to flee.

Its a great deal calmer in the North (Chiang Rai/Mai) But its still amazing up there seeing a pickup trunk with 20 Thai's on board all trashed with a couple of 55 galleon drums and buckets driving down the road throwing them at people. Or the worst I saw in Chiang Rai was a portable water pump setup by a stream and a fire hose connected literally blasting scooter riders out of thier seats. (No idea what was in the stream and didnt want to ask :shock: ) Nice thing about the North is less flour and shorter duration and many still see it as the festival to honor the elders.

You have to see and experience it at least once in your life but for me it got old after the first couple of times, now I try and avoid it :) but wow can we say drunk Thai's!

#4 Legend

Legend
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 12:56 AM

i arrive in bk on the 14th, would other members recomend i stay in bk till the 16th.? then head to pattaya.?
"im sure if u look around u can find a sunken face under caloried 10 year vet tranny bar girl, her face might not be as uniquely sunken or her ass dents so dented but just have a look, life is full of options." - boomdraw.

#5 laptop

laptop
  • Members
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:21 AM

NA just go to pattaya. a couple of days of it would be good craic. for sure

#6 kliome

kliome
  • Moderators
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:35 PM

Despite being negative, I'd still say go experience it for yourself, especially yuo being a young laddy.

Just remember to bring some clothes and shoes etc.. that you don't mind messing up, and always put your phone and wallet in something waterproof.

Dating ladyboys in Thailand Thai Friendly 

Meeting ladyboys around the world My Ladyboy Date

Best Thailand (and global) hotel deals Discounted Hotels

#7 Guest_Pat Tire_*

Guest_Pat Tire_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:29 PM

Anthony Being the beach bum which you are, you shall be happy to hear that the beach tends to be a sanctuary from all that powder and water nonsense which I used to enjoy but not any more.

#8 Brit

Brit
  • Members
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:33 PM

I'm too old for that shit.

When i'm in LOS i want my weather blissful, my LB's sweet and tender and my clothes dry (other than my pants - which are wet from constantly being felt up). But i only want myself to make my pants wet - not some idiot throwing water on me - very tedious.

It would be better if it were curtailed to Koh Sang Road... where all the other idiots (farang) hang out. They'd all enjoy it there !

Its a festive for teenagers - and thats who should be the audience.
I'm too boring for that 'fun'.

I'd rather be nailing an LB to the bed than sitting soaked in a cold bar myself.

....But each to their own.
I spent a lot of money on LB's in Nana Plaza, Patpong and Pattaya. The rest of the cash, I just squandered

#9 ladby33

ladby33
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 12:45 AM

Go on 16 to Pattaya with my wife, we don`t have problems with a little water and we like the experience, but how long will it going on ? Date ?

#10 pattaya69

pattaya69
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 02:40 AM

is gonna finish 19 april (big party day) in south pattaya Naklua 18 april.....
i love ladyboy

#11 Brit

Brit
  • Members
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 03:58 PM

NA just go to pattaya. a couple of days of it would be good craic. for sure

Theres only one type of craic i'm interested in seeing....
I spent a lot of money on LB's in Nana Plaza, Patpong and Pattaya. The rest of the cash, I just squandered

#12 winklergirl

winklergirl
  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:29 PM

shall i wear my two piece during songkran?

Posted Image
SINGAPORE SINGAPORE SINGAPORE February-March 2012

MY BLOG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci