Thai bank account opening

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 10:29 AM

There have been a number of discussions regarding opening a Thai bank account in the past. In the recent past, most Thai banks have made it more difficult for foreigners who are not residents of Thailand to open an account (need a work permit, long stay visa, etc).

Bangkok Bank is one of the few remaining banks that is not quite as strict. Here are their requirements for a foreigner to open a savings account:

You can open a savings account at any Bangkok Bank branch.

Minimum Deposit 500Bt

Required Documents

For Thai nationals

• Thai Citizen ID card or another photo ID card issued by the government

For foreigners

1. Foreigner with a Work Permit

• Passport
  • Work Permit

2. Foreigner with Long-stay or Tourist Visa

• Passport and one of the following documents:

2.1 An official document from another country, such as a document from the 
          relevant agency giving evidence of the customer’s right to receive pension
          funds, OR a letter of reference from one of the following:
        • Embassy or international organization
        • Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT messaging network
        • Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive
        • Educational institution located in Thailand and acceptable to the bank
        • Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit

2.2 Other documents that show the name of the customer e.g. a document
                 showing the ownership of real estate in Thailand such as a unit in a 
                 condominium

3. Foreigner with Permanent Residence in Thailand

• Passport, or Certificate of Residence, or Alien Certificate
  • House Registration

Note that you should also apply for internet banking at the same time - and also check for minimum account balance required to keep the account active. Some banks will close an account if not active for more than x months if it is below the minimum balance.

To apply for Bualuang iBanking, either visit any ATM with your ATM or debit card, or print out an application form to take into your nearest branch.

Foreign customers registering should provide their passport and evidence of a local residential address (not PO Box or Hotel), as well as a list of accounts to be registered.

Need help? You can quickly find answers to a number of common questions about Bualuang iBanking in our Frequently Asked Questions section

:cnd:

#2 ccc.tom

ccc.tom
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 12:01 AM

If you are Japanese and rich then just go to kasikorn bank. they have a special Japanese speaking counter to help Japanese to open bank account without the need of work permit.

#3 tsdating

tsdating
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 04:20 AM

I managed to open bank account in Citibank Thailand. Just needed a local address

#4 guysnightlife

guysnightlife
  • Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:33 PM

remember that if one branch of a bank shoots you down you can still try at a different branch of the same bank..... each branch will have its own rules

For more talk on ladyboys, hookers, and travel check out http://guysnightlife.com

And for all things trans visit LadyboyWiki.com

#5 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 12:38 AM

remember that if one branch of a bank shoots you down you can still try at a different branch of the same bank..... each branch will have its own rules

Each branch will not have its own rules. While I suppose it is possible that one might encounter a bank officer who is lax or doesn't understand the rules for foreigners, I would not count on that, nor would I advise others to wander around the city going from branch to branch like a jackass.

From my recent experience in opening a bank account here, I have found bank employees to be squared away and professional.

#6 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 01:00 AM

It may have been like that in the past, but now Thai banks are much more strict in following the regulations. On my last trip to Thailand I was able to open an account with Bangkok Bank as per my post of Aug 19, 2015. However for internet banking access you are required to have a residence visa or work permit. While their brochures don't have that, it does flag on the computer system, as I asked the customer service representative to try and put the application through.

Anyway, I now have a Bangkok Bank ATM card - which will cost me 200 Baht every 2 years, but the best thing is now I can transfer money from my Canadian bank account (currently offering no fee international transfers - but they do not give as good exchange rate) to my Bangkok Bank account and I can withdraw without incurring the 200 Baht foreign ATM card fee and $5.00 CAD and a 2.5% service charge for using a non-branch ATM outside of Canada. I have to keep a minimum 2000 Baht balance to avoid service charge fees which would drain the account.

I used my girlfriend's house for the Thai address (not a hotel), and I did apply for a Tourist Visa before my trip even though I wasn't going to stay more than 30 days. I ended up visiting the Canadian Embassy to get a guarantee letter (which is actually a from from Bangkok that the Embassy signs and stamps).

• Spyder Rocket likes this

:cnd:

#7 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:45 AM

It may have been like that in the past, but now Thai banks are much more strict in following the regulations. On my last trip to Thailand I was able to open an account with Bangkok Bank as per my post of Aug 19, 2015. However for internet banking access you are required to have a residence visa or work permit. While their brochures don't have that, it does flag on the computer system, as I asked the customer service representative to try and put the application through.

Anyway, I now have a Bangkok Bank ATM card - which will cost me 200 Baht every 2 years, but the best thing is now I can transfer money from my Canadian bank account (currently offering no fee international transfers - but they do not give as good exchange rate) to my Bangkok Bank account and I can withdraw without incurring the 200 Baht foreign ATM card fee and $5.00 CAD and a 2.5% service charge for using a non-branch ATM outside of Canada. I have to keep a minimum 2000 Baht balance to avoid service charge fees which would drain the account.

I used my girlfriend's house for the Thai address (not a hotel), and I did apply for a Tourist Visa before my trip even though I wasn't going to stay more than 30 days. I ended up visiting the Canadian Embassy to get a guarantee letter (which is actually a from from Bangkok that the Embassy signs and stamps).

I also use Bankok Bank, because as an American, they have a branch in New York and making transfers via the SWIFT system is easier and I can even set up Direct Deposit of pension funds with them.

Bangkok Bank wanted a bit more than a non-hotel address from me. They wanted a copy of my lease, or a letter from immigration showing my status in Thailand.

I was recently in a Kaiskorn Bank making a deposit to my landlord's account and overheard them telling the same thing to another foreigner.

From my understanding of what is driving a stricter adherence to the rules is an international effort to combat money laundering and to track criminal streams of money.

Banks can face sanctions and even get barred from doing business in global markets if they gain a reputation for be havens for illicit activity.

So there is strong motivation for the corporate HQs of banks to ensure their branch employees are well trained and in compliance with standards.

#8 guysnightlife

guysnightlife
  • Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:10 PM

^^^ all that said, if you get rejected at one it can't hurt to pop your head into another and spend a minute inquiring if you can open up one there

For more talk on ladyboys, hookers, and travel check out http://guysnightlife.com

#9 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 04:27 AM

^^^ all that said, if you get rejected at one it can't hurt to pop your head into another and spend a minute inquiring if you can open up one there

I suppose someone could try some crap that you read off the internet from seven or eight years ago and isn't relevant anymore.

Sure, why not? You can even tell them to paint themselves up as a clown and wear big floppy shoes too.

#10 guysnightlife

guysnightlife
  • Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:00 AM

hey dude, we have had different experiences

some people i know have had the same experiences as me

some people i know have had the same experiences as you

in places like thailand things can play out differently for everyone, just because you experienced one thing that doesnt mean everyone else will experience it the same way

#11 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:37 PM

hey dude, we have had different experiences

some people i know have had the same experiences as me

some people i know have had the same experiences as you

in places like thailand things can play out differently for everyone, just because you experienced one thing that doesnt mean everyone else will experience it the same way

Hey Dude,

What don't you just admit that you were parroting old information and got called out on it?

#12 guysnightlife

guysnightlife
  • Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 02:38 PM

because its not old information, i am a regular poster on the 2p2 poker forums, i read the thai thread daily there, every week new guys move over and report their experiences, lots of time opening a bank comes up

you can go on thinking that your experiences are the only true experiences if you like, some of us are smart enough to realize that the world doesnt work that day

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci