• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 Torques Hit

Torques Hit
  • Members
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 12 July 2015 - 05:39 PM

Times must be tuff and things seem to be changing. The number of confirmed closures and rumoured closures are mounting up.

Obsessions - Closed
Stringfellows - rumoured to be closing
Pook swan House - Closing to be renovated into a restaurant.
Paradise Club - to be sold or closed for renovation into a Mexican Reataurant.

Worry about the things you can affect and not the things you can't affect 

#2 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:59 AM

Running a bar/restaurant, club, etc., has never been an easy way to make money. Even successful places like the former Bed Supper Club on Sukhumvit Soi 11 closed.

With the world economy still not completely recovered and numerous problems in the past few years tourism has taken a big hit in Thailand (as well as most countries). In addition the rise of social network sites like Thai Friendly has meant it is no longer necessary to visit a bar for a casual lb encounter.

Even successful lb go go bars like Charades (formerly Cascades) has reduced their lb staff from close to 100 lbs down to 60, getting rid of staff who did not meet quotas or did not give good customer service. This reduced the overall payroll costs. Also having recently visited King's Corner and King's Castle 3 in Patpong - business at these 2 bars was much less than the past. King's Corner had about 50% of the gg/post op lb staff compared to 3-4 years ago, and King's Castle 3 was around 30% less - but rely a lot on part time staff from universities/schools working on the weekends/school holidays.

What will this mean? We will likely see more bars go under that cannot adapt to the circumstances.

• MrDragon, jimbo34, Platapuss and 1 other like this

:cnd:

#3 Shining-Path

Shining-Path
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:19 AM

What's really killed Nana, in my opinion, is the massive increase in the price of leases. 5 or more years ago, the Plaza a had a mix of bar owners and different types of bars (Big Mango etc).

Now they have been forced out and the bars are all run by a couple of companies who's business model is to squeeze as much cash as they can out of their suckers, sorry I mean customers.

The Plaza isn't a bar area anymore, it's a washing machine...
  • mardhi and Platapuss like this

#4 Torques Hit

Torques Hit
  • Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 08:40 AM

Rumoured that obsessions might re-open.

#5 mardhi

mardhi
  • Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:33 AM

Rumoured that obsessions might re-open.

Would not surprise me in the least, if this is a 3rd party renting and hoping to re-open quickly.   I must admit I pondered the idea for all of about 3 seconds as the space it occupies is just about perfect for a indoor bar.    If the rent is fair, I'd suspect a far sighted operator may move on it quickly and attempt to tackle the issues that meant it was so unpopular with knowledgable customers.  

#6 goodenough

goodenough
  • Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:28 PM

Stringfellows closing? That would be a shame, its one of the places I love to visit! Can anyone confirm?

#7 Aprilbr

Aprilbr
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 08:36 PM

I walked past Stringfellows a few nights back at 1 am and there appeared to be little going on. No sign of lbs out front. I fear the end is nigh for one of the older lb establishments.

As a regular visitor to the LOS it seems to me that there are just too many lb bars now for this niche market. I would think that the only bars doing ok in Patts are 69 and Sensations. The rest are struggling. In BKK, only the CIB would seem to be travelling well. Darkside must be on its last legs and the rents in Nana are killing most of them in there. Tough times indeed!

#8 mardhi

mardhi
  • Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:26 PM

The little alleyway that runs down from Soi 5 to Soi 7 in BKK has now started to be torn out.    It won't affect CIB nor Country Road, but pretty much everything else is being cleared to make new 'market stalls' apparently.    These pics taken from the smoking/outside area of CIB showing what used to be a bar, a hair salon and a massage place with the fat dog sat outside.  

Attached Files

#9 batman4ever

batman4ever

• Moderators
  • 4,822 posts
  • LocationScandinavia

Posted 19 July 2015 - 01:30 PM

Arghhhhhh... Mardhi :wacko: 

hate to see the massage-place disappear :nonono: 

Got some of the best foot-massage there last time i was in BKK... :) 

A ladyboy is a kind of creature...that makes a txt saying...dont you trust me...and send it to 20 people... :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

https://www.facebook.com/ladyboyforum

#10 JackG

JackG
  • Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:28 AM

A shakeout in the bar industry in both Bangkok and Pattaya, especially Pattaya, is long overdue.

As to Stringfellows, I don't know, but, then, I'll probably be the last to know. :(

• skin2fan likes this

#11 Torques Hit

Torques Hit
  • Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:10 PM

Darkside has closed its door apparently temporary while they negotiate a new lease with the landlord

#12 Platapuss

Platapuss
  • Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:19 PM

Darkside has closed its door apparently temporary while they negotiate a new lease with the landlord

Darkside & paradise have been on the market for some time . i guess you can't keep losing cash forever huh .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci