Exchange Rate

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:40 PM

The baht is taking a beating all of a sudden. Near Big C Extra in Pattaya, yesterday's exchange for USD was $32.50. Today, $33.25. These Russian exchange booths on Panayad Chang (formerly Soi Yume) are usually $.25 lower than Soi Buakow, sorry, didn't check other currencies. Might want to keep watch if you're thinking of moving money.
Old, cantankerous, and sorry if I piss you off - well, not really. Just enjoy!

#2 batman4ever

batman4ever

• Moderators
  • 4,822 posts
  • LocationScandinavia

Posted 08 May 2015 - 03:05 PM

its due to 2 diff. actions that the Thais should have taken long time ago...

they eased the interest rate by 0.25 % and the day after they lifted some of the restrictions on foreign currency so its now easyer to take Money OUT of Thailand...

dont think its sufficient...but its def. a step in the right direction :) 

A ladyboy is a kind of creature...that makes a txt saying...dont you trust me...and send it to 20 people... :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

https://www.facebook.com/ladyboyforum

#3 JustSumGai

JustSumGai
  • Members
  • 167 posts
  • Locationon the Gulf of Mexico

Posted 09 May 2015 - 03:36 PM

I've averaged 30 to the dollar since 2007. Best I got was 35 for a SHORT period...maybe a week or so. I won't start dancing until it hits around 38, **IF** it does (and while I'm there). 8 years tells me it'll be around 32. I been wondering if it'd hit 33 the last trip or so. Too dang stable.

#4 jaybee111

jaybee111
  • Members
  • 389 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:24 PM

But unless you are exchanging a whole shitload of money, a few baht difference per dollar is nothing...only pennies. I used to walk around looking for which booth had the best rate until I woke up and realized I was doing it for pennies, only exchanging a few hundred dollars at a time. It's like driving across town to save 2 pennies a gallon on gas...if you have a 20 gallon tank you only saved 40 cents!

• Platapuss likes this

#5 Platapuss

Platapuss
  • Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:42 AM

But unless you are exchanging a whole shitload of money, a few baht difference per dollar is nothing...only pennies. I used to walk around looking for which booth had the best rate until I woke up and realized I was doing it for pennies, only exchanging a few hundred dollars at a time. It's like driving across town to save 2 pennies a gallon on gas...if you have a 20 gallon tank you only saved 40 cents!

i agree with not chasing the fractions but if the difference is say 2 baht per $ that would certainly be worth chasing if I didn't have to go out of my way . But I guess I typically exchange in $500 - $1000 lots . Example - $1000 au 25 baht to the $ compared to 27 baht = 2000b difference in my pocket ( one long time :) ) . But if only .25 difference between booths would only be 250 baht = not worth chasing when I'm on holidays . Am only referring to exchanging cash , not atm withdrawals . Small atm withdrawals will cost you quite a considerable amount due to fees and poor conversion rate when added together . If you have a fee free card , then not so much .
  • JustSumGai likes this

#6 JustSumGai

JustSumGai
  • Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:07 AM

agree, who spends little in Thailand? I'd say most are going for a week or month, and many for months. Typically it's gonna end up as thousands spent during your stay, and as you pointed out, even at a couple baht per dollar, it can be a short or long time, a week or so of food, or other extras. If the baht hit 35 to the dollar while I was there I'd go an get me some Cuban cigars for starters. haha

#7 jesuschrist

jesuschrist
  • Members
  • 147 posts
  • Locationheaven

Posted 24 May 2015 - 06:29 AM

if you are an expat and living out there on pension/savings etc, then hell yes i'd be looking at ways to save a few baht here and there, but when on holiday FFS who cares about saving a few pennies, if you do, GET A LIFE!!!!!!!!

• jaybee111 likes this

Ego meum consilium forsit esset relictum  :yumm: 

#8 JustSumGai

JustSumGai
  • Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 09:59 AM

perhaps you should tell us more about how we should holiday.

• MrDragon likes this

#9 jesuschrist

jesuschrist
  • Members
  • 147 posts
  • Locationheaven

Posted 29 May 2015 - 11:02 AM

Well let me think...., first of all booking a flight would be a good idea, then make sure you pack a day or two before your flight. Going to the airport on the days and times you have booked, would also be a good thing to do........., if you need any more details on planning your trip justsamgal, no problem, i can write you out a full itinerary if you want.

Wish you were here, Judith Chalmers.

Have a safe trip.

Ego meum consilium forsit esset relictum  :yumm: 

#10 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 12:11 PM

Ultimately we all decide how much to spend when in LOS. Many factors will affect our budget - how long our stay is, how much our jobs pays, etc. That will also impact if we decide to go for the best exchange rate, even though it may mean searching for it.

For others it isn't a priority, but in the end we all agree that enjoying ourselves is the goal - disagreeing about the exchange rate on an internet forum doesn't amount to much in the grand scheme of things.

• MrDragon, batman4ever and jaybee111 like this

:cnd:

#11 batman4ever

batman4ever

• Moderators
  • 4,822 posts
  • LocationScandinavia

Posted 31 May 2015 - 07:05 AM

if you are an expat and living out there on pension/savings etc, then hell yes i'd be looking at ways to save a few baht here and there, but when on holiday FFS who cares about saving a few pennies, if you do, GET A LIFE!!!!!!!!

For once i dont agree with you.....
:whistle: 

it IS imho important to think about how we Exchange....as it is not always a small diff. we can Loose if we do it the wrong way :)

let me give you an exsample.......i Exchange 10k DKK...that will give me now if i change back home like 49K thb.....

if i change in LOS....its about 47 K....

if i use MasterCard.....and withdrawl from an atm...i have to make like 3-5  transactions ...each of them with 1-2 fees...and a lousy Exchange rate as well...i will proberly end up with like 44-45 K :wacko: 

• Moo Yung likes this

A ladyboy is a kind of creature...that makes a txt saying...dont you trust me...and send it to 20 people... :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

https://www.facebook.com/ladyboyforum

#12 wardmoob

wardmoob
  • Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:05 PM

around the early 2000s till about 04 it was always 40 and 40 plus to the dollar, then it went to 30, that's 25 percent more cost, then tack on inflation and it adds up. when it gets back to 35 as a low I think we all would be content. I don't look at extra boom booms or a weeks worth of rent as nothing in a good exchange rate.

I actually think with many currencies changing a lot as in having to take hair cuts that thailands baht might actually take a whooping in the next few years more then we realize.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci