• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 jazzyhorndog

jazzyhorndog
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:27 AM

hi all, 

just looking for some advice on flights. im about to book a last minute trip, however my normal dublin/amsterdam/bangkok is on the expensive side.  i was wondering given the choice peoples preferred route and also time that should be allowed between change over of planes ie. the flight im looking at has a 1h25min change over would this be enough given ive never been and seen abu dhabi airport or dubai aiport (its one or the other ill be taking)

thanks for any help that can be given

#2 Nick Bullseye

Nick Bullseye
  • Members
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:24 AM

Emirates flies through Dubai, Etihad flies through Abu Dhabi. Service and prices are comparable. Choose the one with shorter break. However, at least an hour is necessary to get your luggage from one plane to another.

Nick Bullseye

#3 duke007

duke007
  • Members
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:03 PM

. However, at least an hour is necessary to get your luggage from one plane to another.

Why is that Nick? :shrug:

I would have a preference for Emirates over Etihad (nothing to do with Etihad being affliated with Man City of course :) ), I just think the Airport at Dubai is better and the Emirates planes are better plus you would get the chance to fly on the A380 which is great imho

• jonnieb likes this

What she asked of me at the end of the Day,
Caligula would have blushed

#4 jazzyhorndog

jazzyhorndog
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:32 PM

Thanks Nick and Duke for the help. i will be booking later today i think i will be going the emirates route, i was just wanted to be cautious as ive never used either airline or airport. If you have any other information you think i would need to know please let me know 

Thanks again

jazz

#5 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:02 PM

Abu Dhabi is in the process of updating their (Etihad home base) airport. Once that is completed (possibly this year), then I think that it would be a reasonable alternative to Dubai (Emirates home base). Dubai's airport is best described as a shopping centre. The Duty Free is huge and main focus. There are some restaurants, but it is nothing compared to Sinagpore's Changi Airport, which I think is the best in the world.

Both airlines offer great service and use newer planes - so there isn't much to choose between the 2.

:cnd:

#6 tourist

tourist
  • Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 02:22 AM

Both airlines offer great service and use newer planes - so there isn't much to choose between the 2.

Yes, RX I agree :thumbs:

Jazzy: the only reliable answer on a "safe" connection is available directly from the airline you choose. There's a minimum-connecting-time set by the Airline on each hub. In case they're late and you miss your connection the Airline is fully responsible to reprotect your journey the fastest way possible and provide you with anything you may need during your prolonged transit time, all surrounded by tons of smiles and apologies .

Surely those airlines mentioned above are up to handle those inconveniences the best way.

Lastly: Singapore is (still) a very well known airport, but the standard have improved in a number of other asian airports such as HK, BKK , KL etc...   ,    however it's up to the Airline make you feel at home, once you're experiencing unexpetced delays, no matter the airport where trouble happens....

Ok, sorry for long preach..it's just my daily bread...  :shrug:

I went to the Dark side and found the Light !!!

#7 jazzyhorndog

jazzyhorndog
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 04:21 AM

Thanks to all for the advice and help.

But on the day of booking my preferred route (DUB-AMS-BKK) became

available again for the same price as the others so happy days.

Booked and the countdown is well and truly on...............wont be long now

#8 jonnieb

jonnieb
  • Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:47 PM

Why is that Nick? :shrug:

I would have a preference for Emirates over Etihad (nothing to do with Etihad being affliated with Man City of course :) ), I just think the Airport at Dubai is better and the Emirates planes are better plus you would get the chance to fly on the A380 which is great imho

Upper deck on the Emirates A380 all the way baby...it's the only way to fly.

#9 Nick Bullseye

Nick Bullseye
  • Members
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:20 PM

Upper deck on the Emirates A380 all the way baby...it's the only way to fly.

But only if you buy a business of first class ticket. I upgraded two or three times to business with Emirates. Was worth the experience.

• jonnieb likes this

Nick Bullseye

#10 jesuschrist

jesuschrist
  • Members
  • 147 posts
  • Locationheaven

Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:10 AM

can't beat business class on emirates, their lounges are superb, they pick you up at your house drop you off at the airport, same when going back home, and the service on board is superb, especially when you get the a380, theres a loung/bar at the aft of the plane. 

did qatar last time service great but not too keen on their loung in doha, and you have to use the thai airways lounge at bangkok, the thai airways lounge imho is a shit hole, food shite, and well over due a lick of paint.

Ego meum consilium forsit esset relictum  :yumm: 

#11 puktuk

puktuk
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 06:36 PM

I have used Qatar for years with occasional others for comparison. last Nov tried Malaysian airlines . pretty good . very cheap .

I would everybody flying should use  site called   www.seatguru.com  this shows every seat of every airline with seat sizes  and all other useful info. surprising the difference an inch makes. haha. heard that before somewhere

Qatar business is very good probably the best. Qatar is certainly the best economy I have found of all the gulf states airlines always roundabout the cheapest . my ticket paris CDG- BKK in march  560 eu =£415 as good as it gets ..A380 up the front of A380 quiet   2hrs in Doha.

Mr jesuschrist about business class  seats are only 1/2 inch wider than econ.  Qarar about 7" wider I seem to remember .

Tee cee

#12 scottieM

scottieM
  • Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:54 AM

Emirates rate any Dubai connection below 3 hrs as "short connection" tag on your checked in luggage.
Seldom the connections are lower than that,many how as their schedule runs in flows.
Lot of arrivals from Europe between 10pm and midnight. Lots of departures between 1.30 and 3.30am. The have three main flows from Europe and two main flows departing to Asia.
There are BKK flights with short distance between one and thee other as they serve different destinations afterwards or stop in BKK.
EK has five flights a day to BKK and one to Phuket. Plenty of opportunities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci