Photo

Less Russians around now the rubel is in the tank?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ladedaa69

ladedaa69
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:23 PM

As per title...you guys seen less Russians around?  Must be hard to see the price of your holiday merchandise double!

#2 mikel1

mikel1
  • Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:46 AM

Great result for everyone. Let's hope it continues.

#3 ladedaa69

ladedaa69
  • Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:28 PM

Is anyone seeing less Russians or heard their opinion?  Do Mongering Russians expect to see less Russians in Pattaya and BKK?

#4 pattayanista

pattayanista
  • Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:22 PM

Fewer, old sport, not 'less.'

• tourist likes this

#5 civlor

civlor
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:26 AM

One of my taxi drivers asked me if I was from Russia. After a little back and forth, I asked him why he was asking about Russia in particular. He told me that by this time of the 'season' he would see many Russians come through, but not this year. Playing dumb, I asked for the reason. His reply was, "Russian money no good right now".

I know certain groups can be hard to handle, especially when they are on vacation. My fellow Americans can be a culture shock, especially when we've been fueled with sweet, sweet alcohol. However, there is a part of me that is a little bummed that some of the regular folk can't afford to come have a good time because their monetary value is in the shitter.

#6 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 12:01 PM

Actually Russians can thank Vladimir Putin for the problems they are facing now. It's really ironic how some Republicans were praising Putin for outsmarting Obama and being a better leader just a few months ago at the beginning of the Ukraine crisis - yet now that the sanctions are really biting hard they remain quiet.

Projections are that the Russian economy will probably stay in the tank for around 2 years or possibly longer if they don't do something to have the sanctions lifted. The only ones who can afford vacations now are the super-rich and they are not likely to be visiting Thailand. The numbers of Russian tourists to Thailand will remain low for at least the next couple of years.

• Surin Nix and sharkdog like this

:cnd:

#7 BERZERK

BERZERK
  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 03:31 AM

Whilst I have nothing against Russians, - I have known several and was married to one in the 1980s, but I must admit that they are a bit OTT. They can't have fun without throwing money around, and their loud gregarious nature intimidates many Asian cultures who are generally smaller (and less plumper) in nature.

Their absence will be most welcomed.

Bye

• Surin Nix likes this

#8 jesuschrist

jesuschrist
  • Members
  • 147 posts
  • Locationheaven

Posted 01 January 2015 - 01:58 AM

nothing more than the arrogant cunts deserve

• MrDragon likes this

Ego meum consilium forsit esset relictum  :yumm: 

#9 Skyblue

Skyblue
  • Members
  • 96 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:19 AM

Great News,

Other than crowding the sidewalks, patronising the Mini Marts & sitting around hotel pools day & night these soulless, culture less, gawking droids will not be missed.

A great Way to start 2015. The roubles loss is our gain. Let them keep the misery at home. Good riddance.
  • Janus and mikel1 like this

#10 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:04 PM

If the pound hadn't lost 10% of its value against the baht over the last quarter I would probably be smiling more broadly. 

I took a walk down Soi 12 Pattaya Klang the other evening, there were still quite a few up there, up near @Mind. It seems to be some sort of Russian enclave around there. There are a few of those around.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#11 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 01:21 PM

I couldn't give a shit about the roubel. If Russia re-erected its Iron Curtain it wouldn't trouble me in the slightest.

The pound will, i'm sure, regain its lost ground eventually.

Its the Euro that troubles me. I can't see a happy ending for this currency, resulting in it becoming increasingly expensive for our european friends to come on holiday to Thailand. I fear 2015 will see a monster crisis in the eurozone.

My only hope is that the Thai Baht will also have a crisis, given that the economy is weakening by the day. Commodity prices for things like rice and rubber are very low and likely to head even lower, spelling a nightmare for most thais. Tourism is also taking a hit.

If there is a Succession "issue" this year, i can see the Baht going into freefall.

• Janus likes this

#12 jay_c_154

jay_c_154
  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:46 PM

The whole integration of europe was theoretically a nice idea. But its so fucked up its not even funny. Who thought it was a good idea to let Greece join the euro ? No offence to the greeks, but their finance minister was nicknamed "The Magician" and when they applied to join the euro it was common knowledge that their books were dodgy. No one gave a shit and now everything in europe's fucked. Oh well. Glad i left and am now in Oz !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci