Thailand marriage lbs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:43 PM

Here's a video that shows the difficulty of lbs getting married in Thailand (although in this particular case they could be legally married).

Nok Yollada is a former Miss Alacazar 2006, former Venus Fly Trap member (Thailand's 1st lb singing group), and first elected lb member to a Provincial Council. She's also an activist for transgender rights in Thailand, and a successful businesswoman, with a popular TV jewelery shopping show

• Surin Nix and Spyder Rocket like this

:cnd:

#2 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:58 PM

That was interesting, if you met these two at a party, you'd never know they were both transgender unless they told you.

#3 rxpharm

rxpharm
  • Moderators
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 09:14 PM

Yes, not a hint at all they are tg. The law that was proposed to recognize same sex marriage in Thailand was caught up in the political changes - which was the 2nd time it happened. The first time was when the Democrats were in power, and then a new election was called which the Pheu Thai won, and Yingluck Shinawatra became prime minister. This time the coup interrupted the process. It will probably around 3-5 years before it gets traction again. 

Nok Yollada is one of the advocates for the new law.

:cnd:

#4 veveron

veveron
  • Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 02:00 PM

Ahhh, so that's why they were able to get married. Funniest thing I've seen today.

...now I'm sure I've gone and offended someone.

#5 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:50 AM

Ahhh, so that's why they were able to get married. Funniest thing I've seen today.
...now I'm sure I've gone and offended someone.

Why would anyone get offended over that?

Unless, you mean our local troop of Third Sex adherents; in that case, you are probably right. They are likely zeroing in on your IP address and planning a pre-dawn raid on your house.

After all, your observation does greatly diminish the Third Sex premise, and I doubt that Nok and her hubby support that view either.

If you are feeling nervous, I suggest that you get jonnieb to take an over-watch position on your house to ambush the Third Sexers before they kick your door in.

He's done battle with them before, and he seems like the kind of guy who'd be willing to tangle with them again. :)
  • jonnieb likes this

#6 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:09 AM

Yes, not a hint at all they are tg. The law that was proposed to recognize same sex marriage in Thailand was caught up in the political changes - which was the 2nd time it happened. The first time was when the Democrats were in power, and then a new election was called which the Pheu Thai won, and Yingluck Shinawatra became prime minister. This time the coup interrupted the process. It will probably around 3-5 years before it gets traction again. 

Nok Yollada is one of the advocates for the new law.

As Veveron points out, this particular couple doesn't need a same sex marriage law, they just want to be able to swap who is male, and who is female.

Undoubtedly, they are also supporters of same sex marriage, but their case adds a unique twist to the whole issue.

When Nok was speaking of going to jail and how Thai courts view sexual assault, I wonder if she mischaracterized the issue.

She said, if she was raped in prison the authorities wouldn't consider it a crime because of her legal status as a man. However, that certainly doesn't mean that it isn't a crime for a man to sexually assault another man in Thailand, does it?

Men are raped all the time in jails, and on the outside too. I'd be very surprised to find that Thailand doesn't have laws on the books to prosecute man-on-man sex crimes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Thailand, marriage, lbs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci