• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 jesuschrist

jesuschrist
  • Members
  • 147 posts
  • Locationheaven

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:43 AM

I have been to Thailand 4 times this year and it's the quietest i have ever seen it, FFS the Mary Celeste had more folk on board than most bars i visited.

Has pattaya had it's day???

Ego meum consilium forsit esset relictum  :yumm: 

#2 jaybee111

jaybee111
  • Members
  • 389 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:50 AM

"Has Pattaya had it's day???"

I doubt it. Middle of low season, probably raining, just a slow time of year.

#3 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:13 AM

Yes, Pattaya is very quiet, but to be honest I quite like it that way.

Perhaps it's a combination of: -

Low season
Military Rule (negative news reporting)
Void travel insurance (due to above)
Kids back at school in Farangland
Malaysia Airlines' troubles
Wars in the World
Tail-end of a recession

Maybe some people just don't feel it's a good time to travel or don't have the money.

Apart from taking holidays at home due to the above, I doubt tourist numbers have increased anywhere else in the World to compensate for Thailand's apparent loss, so I doubt it's only Thailand with less tourists.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#4 jesuschrist

jesuschrist
  • Members
  • 147 posts
  • Locationheaven

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:10 AM

i have noticed it decline quite a lot, exchange rate is the problem, and just when you thought it was going up, it seems to be creeping back down again.

What is the exchange rate at ground zero just now?

sterling to the baht

#5 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:37 PM

Mainly, nobody borrows money to come on holiday any more, despite the fact that borrowing is relatively cheap. 

There was a time, a few years back, when you simply took out a loan or another credit card to come on holiday. You didn't give a damn. All you had to do was pick up the phone, and hey presto!

But it catches up with you in the end - all those loans and credit cards have to be repaid. Holidays these days are being funded from genuine savings. And we all know how hard that is, especially when wages aren't rising appreciably and our governments are raising taxes all the time. Everybody's feeling the pinch.

• MrDragon, Surin Nix, bcfc4ever and 1 other like this

#6 jesuschrist

jesuschrist
  • Members
  • 147 posts
  • Locationheaven

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:27 PM

last time there, i even noticed a significant decline in the ruskies, if that's happening you know the place is in terminal decline, even the arab area was quiet as well.

I just hope things pick up  sooner than later, as it will not be long before  our bars feel the pinch big time.

#7 jesuschrist

jesuschrist
  • Members
  • 147 posts
  • Locationheaven

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:33 PM

I just think it's sad, as 15 years ago (gg hunter then, lol) the place was vibrant full of energy, jumping, now it's like pattaya is just going through the motions, thank god for memories, as pattaya now compared to back then, no comparison.

The army bunch will probably make it even worse, sad days a head my friends.

#8 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:07 PM

last time there, i even noticed a significant decline in the ruskies, if that's happening you know the place is in terminal decline, even the arab area was quiet as well.

I just hope things pick up  sooner than later, as it will not be long before  our bars feel the pinch big time.

The roubel has fallen through the floor, so its much more expensive for them now. Plus its their summer, so they'll be posturing along the Black Sea coast, and the cheaper mediterranean sunspots.

Come november, when it gets a bit parky in siberia, they'll be back.

I just think it's sad, as 15 years ago (gg hunter then, lol) the place was vibrant full of energy, jumping, now it's like pattaya is just going through the motions, thank god for memories, as pattaya now compared to back then, no comparison.

The army bunch will probably make it even worse, sad days a head my friends.

Its not just Pattaya, jesuschrist. Bangla Road in Patong used to be rammed, now its an easy stroll. Only have to watch out for the idiots pushing their buggies these days.

• jfrank and jesuschrist like this

#9 jesuschrist

jesuschrist
  • Members
  • 147 posts
  • Locationheaven

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:15 PM

Sorry to hear that it's happening every where , anyways, didn't realise that the rouble has declined as welll, this is when Thailand as a whole will feel it as I saw few Russian hunters , mainly family orientated , as how Thailand wants to push for now these days. Just hope the new Thai joke of a government does not fuck it up any more as if Pattaya etal gets any more quieter a morgue would be busier lol.
Any how's peace to you all, and hope it picks up for our hard working bar owners who make our holiday what it is. Great!!!

#10 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:57 AM

... and just when you thought it was going up, it seems to be creeping back down again.

The Scottish vote for independence is primarily responsible for the that.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#11 jesuschrist

jesuschrist
  • Members
  • 147 posts
  • Locationheaven

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:31 AM

I am a proud Scotsman but just as proud to be part of the great nation that is Great Britain . This vote for independence is a joke , the parliament in Edinburgh is a Mickey Mouse outfit, London is one of the financial capitals of the world , who in their right mind would want to break away from that. The present situation is not perfect but ok , I would never have let us have the referendum in the first place. If the vote is yes Scotland's fucked. It's all on hear say it's like putting red or black on a roulette table. Better the devil
You know than the devil you don't
  • patrick likes this

#12 Surin Nix

Surin Nix
  • Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:39 AM

The Scottish vote for independence is primarily responsible for the that.

The impending Oscar Pistorious verdict also has the world on edge right now.
  • jesuschrist likes this
Nix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci