Slang - Aussie vs Brit vs Kiwi vs Yank

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:04 AM

I know this is all a matter of perspective, but I am endlessly amused by the slang vocabularies of Aussies, Brits, and Kiwis.

Now, before you guys unload on me, I realize we Americans have an endless supply of nonsensical sounding slang words. Like I said, it's all a matter of perspective.

I am particularly amused by Aussie usage of the word, cunt. In the States, that word is taboo in almost every scenario, but it is especially an egregious sin to call an American female a cunt.

There is an Aussie Comedian that has a hilarious rant about why Koala Bears are cunts. I get that the word is likely considered foul language in Aussie society, but the way I hear it tossed around by Aussies, I don't think they consider it excessively bad like we Yanks do.

I was amused to hear that the 1990s Austin Powers comedy, The Spy Who Shagged Me, caused an uproar in British audiences because the word "shag" is considered far more offensive than it is in the states.

Americans consider the word, bloody, to be a rather mild explicative; however, I'm under the impression that Brits consider it impolite and not something to be said in the presence of children.

Does anyone have any others?

PS

This is another thing that I enjoy about Thailand, is it provides the opportunity to mix with Aussies, Brits, and Kiwis. I'm fascinated in the little differences in our common language, and I usually enjoy hearing you guys speak.

I can easily differentiate a Brit from an Aussie dialect, but I can't distinguish a Kiwi from an Aussie dialect. Probably because I've mingled far less with the Kiwis.
  • jaybee111, jfrank, scurnSync and 1 other like this

#2 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:27 PM

I'm English first, British second. I enjoy accents, particularly the many regional accents within Britain. But it's likely you couldn't care less about that.

Couldn't care less! .. Or should I have said "I could care less" for the benefit of the Americans in the house?

In order to imply that it's not possible to care any less than one already does, shouldn't it be "I couldn't care less".

What have the Americans done with the negative and what do the Aussies and Kiwis do?

I suspect the Yanks are on their own in this particular common mistake   :loco:

• jaybee111 likes this

Meum cerebrum nocet

#3 jfrank

jfrank
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 03:48 PM

I was attending a conference in London, when the speaker from USA said "If you top me I will give you a lolly" :)

#4 jaybee111

jaybee111
  • Members
  • 389 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:40 PM

"What have the Americans done with the negative,,,"

Makes me crazy too, Dixon. And I'm a Yank!

#5 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:06 PM

If you are totally apathetic about a particular issue, and it is impossible to care any less, then you should say, "I couldn't care less."

Saying, "I could care less" implies at least some level of concern. While I haven't noticed an over abundance of my fellow Americans goofing that one up, I'm not denying that some of us do.

However, I think that particular misusage is more associated with a person's level of education, than it is to a regional dialect.
  • dixon cox, Surin Nix and jaybee111 like this

#6 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:03 PM

I'm English first, British second. I enjoy accents, particularly the many regional accents within Britain. But it's likely you couldn't care less about that.:

Many years ago, I was visiting RAF Chicksands, in Bedfordshire, England and I was looking for a place to get something to eat on a Sunday afternoon. I stopped an elderly lady on the street and asked if she knew of a place that was open nearby.

She was very friendly, and gave me intricate directions that I could barely understand. :) I think she was speaking a Cockney dialect, but I'm not sure.

I particularly enjoy the way people from Manchester speak, they usually sound cheerful, even when expressing anger or frustration.

A question for you about being referred to as a Brit. Since you said, "I'm English first, British second" does that mean you take offense to being called a Brit?

I've had the pleasure of working with the RAF on numerous occasions, and I've never noticed any of those great guys and gals take offense to the moniker. Perhaps, they were such gracious hosts that they would never let on that we had made a social blunder, but I don't think so. Between the USAF and the RAF there is usually a high degree of mutual respect and camaraderie, any rivalry is always good natured.

As for being called a Yank, I'm rather proud of that moniker, and I especially enjoyed when an allied service member called me a Yank.

I think the only exception to this might be calling an American from a Southern US state an Yankee; however, in the context of mingling with NATO troops, I think most southern boys wouldn't raise a fuss. You might run across the occasional rabid southerner, but for the most part, it wouldn't be an issue.

#7 thailover57

thailover57
  • Members
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:29 PM

Don't believe I've ever heard an American use the word, "lolly."

On two side notes, Thais end up picking up English idioms with no filter. So they've picked up the f-bomb and sh1t, etc. and drop them frequently into conversations when they're using what English they know. (As for the f-bomb, I hear it more from other farangs than Americans.)

Which brings me to point two. My sense is that the word 'farang' as often as not carries a negative connotation when the Thais use it. My ears perk up to see if I can determine the context, and it's usually not favorable.
Old, cantankerous, and sorry if I piss you off - well, not really. Just enjoy!

#8 Macman

Macman
  • Members
  • 988 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:41 PM

Couldn't care less! .. Or should I have said "I could care less" for the benefit of the Americans in the house?

DC, I have no idea how that started.  In my day, it was always "couldn't", which of course is the only thing that makes sense.  I suspect it started around the same time that we started using the word "fun" as an adjective instead of the noun that it is ("That was so fun.").  It drives me nuts. BTW, I too enjoy the various accents of Britain.  I particularly like the sound of Liverpudlian; very Scottish sounding (the burr is my favorite accent in  the world).

Actually living the dream.

#9 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:18 PM

Don't believe I've ever heard an American use the word, "lolly."

Ever since seeing 'The Warriors' I used to think the usual American word for lolly was popsicle.

After the Baseball Furies chase when Ajax said: "I'm gonna shove that bat up your ass and turn you into a Popsicle".

Great movie and Joe Walsh contributed a lot to the soundtrack. I bought both the album and video.

Geordie is my favourite UK accent.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#10 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:25 PM

In America I think "lollipop" would be the most common word in use for hard candy on a stick, closely followed by the word "sucker" in the American South.

Ajax was threatening to turn a member of the Baseball Furies into a confection of flavored and colored frozen water on a stick.

#11 Spyder Rocket

Spyder Rocket
  • Members
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:28 PM

I suspect it started around the same time that we started using the word "fun" as an adjective instead of the noun that it is ("That was so fun.").

The use of "fun" as an adjective is firmly established in informal usage, but not accepted in standard English. Language is dynamic, it changes over time to reflect so many aspects of our culture.

I can tolerate informal usage of English in certain settings, as I suspect you probably do; however, in business world I've found that it is best not to deviate too far from standard usage, especially in written form.

At the pub, when informal English is flowing as freely as the beer and whiskey, I couldn't care less. ;)

#12 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:41 PM

In America I think "lollipop" would be the most common word in use for hard candy on a stick, closely followed by the word "sucker" in the American South.

Ajax was threatening to turn a member of the Baseball Furies into a confection of flavored and colored frozen water on a stick.

Your sucker is a lollipop in the UK and a popsicle would be an iced-lolly (or lolly).

Meum cerebrum nocet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci