Hey question for the veterans?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 brad654

brad654
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:23 AM

Hey any advice regarding currency? Better places to convert? better conversion mean more mongering

#2 jimbo34

jimbo34
  • Members
  • 9,813 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:12 PM

Take high value $.Use the exchange booths that are everywhere. Some of them offer very competitive rates.

#3 mardhi

mardhi
  • Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:15 PM

Private exchange booth generally offer more baht for your buck than bank exchange booths. Us dollar rate varies by the value of note as Jim eludes to. Bigger value the better for US$. Other currency they don't change the rate.

#4 Moo Yung

Moo Yung
  • Administrators
  • 649 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:52 PM

As Mardhi states there are some private exchange booths which offer notably better rates than the banks. If you can bring your money over in cash (home currency, or big dollar notes as Jim suggests), then that's your best solution.

In Bangkok there is the privately run Vasu Exchange which offer some of the best rates in town - http://www.vasuexchange.com/

They have a location on the corner of Sukhumvit soi 7/1, and another on the corner of Sukhumvit 38.

In Pattaya, the best rates I've seen are at the Chinese exchange Bank Gold, which is up past 3rd Road on Soi Rungland. If you don't want to go far there is also a yellow change booth and shop on 2nd Road, almost opposite Mike Plaza (not Mike Shopping Mall). I think it might be called T.T. Currency. Next be st rate is at Super T, down the road at the back of an antiques shop, still on 2nd Road, opposite the entrance  Soi Diamond.

Find us on facebook: LADYBOYFORUM

#5 brad654

brad654
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:08 PM

Awesome, thanks guys, ill take as much cash as i can carry without advertising the giant wad of cash i have haha

#6 jaybee111

jaybee111
  • Members
  • 389 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

My first 2 trips, I fretted over the rates displayed in the booth windows and wandered around until I found the best rate. I usually only exchange $100 to $300 at a time. Then I did the math and realized that getting a few baht better rate is only just a few pennies US, so unless you are exchanging a large amount it really doesn't make a big difference. Just go to the nearest, most convenient booth and make your exchange, You will save money buy taking cash with you as most, if not all, booths and ATMS will charge you a service fee to use a card.

• bumgooh likes this

#7 donnykey

donnykey
  • Members
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:53 PM

TT currency exchanges I have found are the best. Reasons being they have the best, or close to the best rates and they are everywhere. You can't miss them....Yellow coloured booths/shops.

Unless you are cashing 1000's of dollars etc. at a time point 1 or 2 of a baht difference between exchange booths doesn't really make much difference in the final result.

I know some people that will walk from one end of Pattaya to the other to get 50 bht more for their money. :loco:

Cheers DK

• bumgooh and jaybee111 like this
Oh so happy when in LOS

#8 jesuschrist

jesuschrist
  • Members
  • 147 posts
  • Locationheaven

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:45 AM

Just do not change much at the airport, only enough to get you to your destination, as the airport rates are really poor.

Ego meum consilium forsit esset relictum  :yumm: 

#9 MadMoker

MadMoker
  • Members
  • 43 posts
  • Locationleicestershire

Posted 13 April 2014 - 02:56 AM

In the UK , I have found the best way is to Western Union money to yourself to the country you are visiting. The fees seem high but the exchange rate is really good. I have used this for Poland , Hungary and Philippines.
Last time I went to PH , I sent £700 via W/U and got £46 (after fees ) over the very best rate I could get in UK.
For a 2 week trip , I send 2 transfers so I don't need to carry cash on the journey , cash one on arrival and I know I have another I can draw as needed. Its safe , paid already , & no problems of getting your card validated. And no danger of your card being scammed !!
Can't talk about Thai cos never been there yet , but it works for me

#10 xyzzy

xyzzy
  • Members
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationPattaya

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:41 AM

In the UK , I have found the best way is to Western Union money to yourself to the country you are visiting. The fees seem high but the exchange rate is really good. I have used this for Poland , Hungary and Philippines.
Last time I went to PH , I sent £700 via W/U and got £46 (after fees ) over the very best rate I could get in UK.

It would be better to compare what you would get changing in Thailand or the Philippines as opposed to home. Changing currency at home always results in a poor exchange rate.

Sorry I did this in US dollars not £ because it's easier for me. If I were changing cash at TT Exchange today I would get about 32 baht to the dollar. Kasikorn Bank is showing 31.9 for the cash rate and TT is usually at least 1/10 better if not more. So for $1000 I would get 32000 baht. If I sent $1000 from the US to Thailand today via WU I would get 30934 baht according to the WU web site. So I would be losing 3.3% in the currency exchange plus the $5 WU fee. I've tried PayPal also and the results were equally as bad.

If it makes you feel comfortable to send money that way that is important also. But you likely won't get a good exchange rate using a money service from your home country.   

EDIT: I did try from the English WU site and it was a bit better if you fund it from your bank account. Only about 2% then.

xyzzy is the "magic word" from the first computer adventure game and isn't capitalized

#11 veveron

veveron
  • Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:12 PM

The ATM rates are rather good. The banks are always a nuisance for me forms, wanting a tel number, ect. Never the best rates either. The 3-4 Super Rich changers are over by Center World in bkk, but Vasu on Suk is usually just as good.

In Pattaya I found small stalls on soi Diana and Buakhao to have better rates and be more convientant than going over to Rungland.

Not all of them, the two best were (blue and white one right in front of LK Renaissance beside the Family Mart and a red and white one near the front door of Duan Nam Inn on Buakhao, near 15)

You can find a .10 to .15 difference just turning a corner on most days. This was in Jan. 2014.

#12 jonnieb

jonnieb
  • Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:58 PM

My first 2 trips, I fretted over the rates displayed in the booth windows and wandered around until I found the best rate. I usually only exchange $100 to $300 at a time. Then I did the math and realized that getting a few baht better rate is only just a few pennies US, so unless you are exchanging a large amount it really doesn't make a big difference. Just go to the nearest, most convenient booth and make your exchange, You will save money buy taking cash with you as most, if not all, booths and ATMS will charge you a service fee to use a card.

All that wandering around in the hot sun for a few hundredths of a percent better rate on a 300 dollar exchange...was the difference enough to even buy a Snickers bar at a 7-11?

You guys looking all over town for the best texchange rates are wasting your time as unless your exchanging a few thousands at a time, the difference won't even buy you a Big Mac Meal!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci