438 replies to this topic

#1 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts
  • LocationCentral Pattaya

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:35 PM

I was fortunate enough earlier this year to spend 6 months of it away from my usual mundane existence in the UK, enjoying 2 months in Thailand and 4 months in Cambodia.

As there's already so much written about Thailand in this thread I'll focus only on Cambodia, at the beginning of their new year in April, 2011. The year of the rabbit.

Similar to my "Last Millenium" thread, this will not be a monger's tale, but more of a pictorial with any worthwhile information added as I go along, such as accommodation and transportation etc. and I will be posting things chronologically.

My travels within the country took me to Sihanoukville, Battambang, Siem Reap, and of course, Phnom Penh. So any Cambodian related questions or discussions about these locations or the country in general are more than welcome.

Attached Files

• Attached File  0068.JPG   163.26KB   51 downloads

• snoop-dawg likes this

Meum cerebrum nocet

#2 batman4ever

batman4ever

• Moderators
  • 4,822 posts
  • LocationScandinavia

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:54 PM

looking forward to this DC, has many time thought about taking Oh with me for a trip there :butterfly:

A ladyboy is a kind of creature...that makes a txt saying...dont you trust me...and send it to 20 people... :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

https://www.facebook.com/ladyboyforum

#3 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:56 PM

Having returned to the UK to deal with some business following my 2 months in Thailand, I was now ready to travel again, via Bangkok, for Cambodia. I had my shortest ever stay so far in Thailand, just 7 hours.

Returning to Asia I enjoyed one of the easiest journeys I've ever had. 3 easy trains to London's Heathrow Airport from home, easy check-in, an empty seat beside me on my Thai TG911 flight to Bangkok, and hardly anyone at the immigration queues at Suvarnabhumi. The proverbial piece of cake.

Following advice from my good friend pdogg I'd arranged a day room at a hotel close to the airport, The Great Residence Hotel. I had a 7 hour wait for my flight to Phnom Penh and I didn't fancy hanging around the airport feeling unrested and unclean, so I took the excellent advice and I'm so glad I did. I had a shower, a nap and a massage, lovely.

With Thailand over and done with already, it was time to leave for Phnom Penh.

Attached Files

• Attached File  2141.JPG   131.91KB   38 downloads
  • Attached File  2144.JPG   147.79KB   37 downloads

Meum cerebrum nocet

#4 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:30 PM

The Cambodian New Year is far more subdued than in Thailand, but no less enjoyable. In fact, it is considered rude to throw water on a person, so there is non of that, they just focus on making food offerings to monks in the day and having a good time in the evening.

On arrival I took a taxi from Phnom Penh International Airport, costing $10 including tip (tuk-tuks are cheaper at $7 or less) to the Circuit Hotel on Street 154, just off Street 51, close to the Heart of Darkness and an easy walk to Sorya Center and the Central Market.

The cost of a room alongside the balcony is/was $18 per night, but we got a reduced rate of $15 per night booking for a week at a time. It included one free breakfast, free WiFi (average), hot water, TV and AC.

http://www.circuithotel.net/

Attached Files

• Attached File  2205.JPG   160.72KB   34 downloads
  • Attached File  2209.JPG   237.94KB   35 downloads
  • Attached File  2210.JPG   293.51KB   36 downloads
  • Attached File  2251.JPG   301.06KB   39 downloads

• snoop-dawg likes this

Meum cerebrum nocet

#5 Guest_pentire_*

Guest_pentire_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:59 PM

Well done DC, I'm looking forward to this :clapclap:

Cambodia is a country which I've spent precious little time investigating thus far, my sole trip was back in 06 and that was only a week.

Please continue while I put the kettle on.

#6 BigTel

BigTel
  • Members
  • 429 posts
  • LocationLinda Bar

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:14 PM

Nice one DC :clapclap: , I am looking forward to this, the only time I have spent in Cambodia was on border runs whilst living in Thailand.

:cheers:
  • Graham likes this
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

#7 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:08 PM

looking forward to this DC, has many time thought about taking Oh with me for a trip there :butterfly:

Well done DC, I'm looking forward to this :clapclap:

Nice one DC :clapclap:

Thanks guys :mrgreen:

Seems like many who visit Cambodia do it for just a short 2 or 3 day trip in order to renew their Thai visa. I did that very same thing myself earlier this year between my 2 months in Thailand and it was that trip which rekindled my desire to return for what is the first of many extended trips, I hope.

My first trip to Cambodia was back in 1999 and will be covered in my Last Millenium thread, but where a pictorial comparison between then and now is available, I will show the 12 year difference.

Meum cerebrum nocet

#8 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:16 PM

At the temple the monks lined up and received the food, which was brought to them pre-prepared by the locals in stackable stainless steel containers which kept the food nicely divided and warm. Also, donations of cash were made right, left and centre, but mostly in 100 riel notes (about 2½ cents) which were readily available for exchange outside within the temple grounds, all in pristine condition and in neat little bundles.

Stung Meanchey is a district of Phnom Penh and is well-known by many as the location of the principal rubbish dump for the City. Although it has since been closed, sealed and covered, the local residents who made a living off the dump, at around $1 a day, still reside in the slums right along-side the 100 acre site. I will cover more about that fascinating, yet heart-wrenching place later on.

Attached Files

• Attached File  2207.JPG   210.63KB   23 downloads
  • Attached File  2208.JPG   132.03KB   35 downloads
  • Attached File  2212.JPG   144.12KB   37 downloads
  • Attached File  2214.JPG   243.5KB   30 downloads
  • Attached File  2215.JPG   208.47KB   22 downloads
  • Attached File  2222.JPG   151.81KB   36 downloads
  • Attached File  2228.JPG   198.18KB   25 downloads

• snoop-dawg likes this

Meum cerebrum nocet

#9 Legend

Legend
  • Members
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:39 PM

really nice reporting dc, i like this stuff. 8)
"im sure if u look around u can find a sunken face under caloried 10 year vet tranny bar girl, her face might not be as uniquely sunken or her ass dents so dented but just have a look, life is full of options." - boomdraw.

#10 eslmiker

eslmiker
  • Members
  • 1,996 posts
  • Locationthe Land of Sand

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:41 PM

I've not made a trip to Cambodia yet. On oversight I must rectify on my next trip if it all possible. Looking forward to the rest DC.

#11 dixon cox

dixon cox

Monkey Nut

• Moderators
  • 7,150 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:41 PM

When staying for extended periods in a country the urge to go out every night is on the wain quite quickly, also for financial reasons and that you need to pace yourself. But as this was my first night in Phnom Penh and it was the Khmer New Year I was eager to get out there and have a good time.

As there were three New Year ladyboy shows planned at "The Classic Night", better known as Classic, and it was there we went first to start the evening's entertainment off, followed by Pontoon after the second of the two different Classic shows. All very enjoyable, but horrendously loud in there, so we decided to skip the third show.

The Classic Night is located on the corner of Street 63 and Street 288 and is too far to walk from anywhere you'd be likely to stay, so you would ideally need the services of a tuk-tuk or get a ride on a friend's bike.

Pontoon is located on Street 172 at the end of the Sorya Market, just off Street 51, about 2 minutes walk from the Heart of Darkness and 5 minutes from my bed at the Circuit Hotel.

Street 51 has plenty of late night eats available, both Barang (the Khmer word for foreigner) and Khmer.

Attached Files

Meum cerebrum nocet

#12 KendoUK

KendoUK
  • Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:10 PM

I see camera equipment has definitely improved since the last millennium TR!

zinc n B-6 deficiency's, tends to make folks post crazy things like ''your a fagg you never fuked a trannie prostitute''.. - Boomdraw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Smooci